Pictures of the Vendee

[quote user="Benjamin"]
... a giude in English titled Genocide - The Civil War in the Vendée Militaire by a guy called Tim Hayward. I haven't read it myself but now i've seen it again I have heard it's pretty factual but can be very harrowing.
[/quote]

Absolutely excellent book!
I thought I knew a bit about the Vendee Wars - but I now realise I am a mere beginner.  (I did fail O-level History.)

Angela

[quote user="Mme poivre"]

there is a war museum in Mouleron en Pared which might be worth a look at, i have just finished reading a novel which included lots about the royalists in the vendee, ...

[/quote]

The Musee des Deux Victoires in Mouilleron-en-Pareds deals only with WWI and WW2 material, as related to the two great sons of Mouilleron: Georges Clemenceau (WWI politician), and Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (WW2 military leader).

If you want to learn more about the 18thC Vendee Wars, you should visit Les Lucs-sur-Boulogne and its new Historial de la Vendee museum.  One tip: don't try and visit the whole thing in one go - you will have serious information overload! Concentrate on one aspect - i.e. the Vendee Wars - and do it thoroughly.  Then read Tim Hayward's book, recommended above, to understand the context and to begin to make sense of it all.

The parish church in the centre of Les Lucs tells a lot of the story through the medium of its stained-glass windows (you can press a button near the altar to hear a ponderous French commentary). There is also a very moving little chapel at the top of a hill in Les Lucs (you can climb the slope to it from the modern "Memorial des Lucs" building), the site of a massacre by Republicans, in which wall panels give the names and ages of the 564 people who were murdered on the site on 23 Feb 1794.

Elsewhere, visit :
- the Refuge de Grasla, at Les Brouzils, where an 18C Vendean encampment has been recreated in the forest - typical of the hide-outs the Vendeans used between battles, during the Wars. Open during the summer.
- the Logis de la Chabotterie, a stately home in the grounds of which the Vendee leader General Charette was captured on 23 March 1796, more or less concluding the Vendee Wars. Open all year, except part of January.

Angela

Thanks

Marc the web cam ideas is a good one dont know why I didnt think of it[:$]  I am making a 4 day visit this week to the house as it is half term, just to get a frace fix to last me unitl just after easter when hubby and i will be going for a week sans enfant [:D]

Angela you are very informed, it is really intersting finding out about all the places to go and things to find out, I appreciate the reply thanks

Judith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...