Property between La Fleche and Baugé

Hi - after 20 years I've finally managed to persuade my wife we should have a house in France.  Our budget is in the region of Euros110k but there seems to be very little in this price range in our favourite area south of La Fleche.  Any thoughts?

Meantime we've started a search about 45 minutes north in the Mayenne / Gorron region which looks much more active in our price range.  If anyone has suggestions re good agencies to talk with we'd be glad to hear.

Thanks

Guys - many thanks for the advice.  I have looked at Leboncoin and The Notaire sites and found them very helpful.  Also interested in your thoughts that the area north of Le Mans is just as attractive as the area to the south........we found a typical village restaurant in Les Clefs between La Fleche and Baugé some years ago and we've got to know the family so that's had some bearing on our first ideas about location.

We're due in Mayenne / Gorron towards the end of next month to start the search in earnest......

Thanks again

Good luck with your house hunting

Don't forget to ask lots of awkward questions like does this Fosse have a recent cert/been emptied, what are the electrics like. asbestos cert and a load of other stuff which may give you a bit of bargain room.

I fully understand about your connection with Les Clefs, the same sort of thing happened with some Brits I know near me.  For similar reasons they bought a house in a village where they had know the bar owners for years.  They moved in then guess what?  The bar owners sold up and moved to Brittany! 

I'm not suggesting the same would happen to you though

Hi Pierre - I guess people do move but they seem to be in place longer in France than people in England.  Sue and I used to drive over to Hanover frequently on business in the 1980s and got in the habit of stopping for lunch in a tiny place called Rozoy at a no-star hotel and restaurant.  This was in the days of a good 2 course meal with a pichet of local wine for a fiver!  Oh happy days!  Anyway, after several years the owners disappeared and the place was never the same again....C'est la vie.

Our house is between Durtal and La Flèche and we had been visiting this area on holiday for years before we bought it in 2003. It has really saddened us  to lose friends from two bars and one restaurant in La Flèche; other shops have closed and friends have retired and we don't see them very often but we have never regretted our decision to choose this area. We   have made other french friends other the years and as long as your decisiondoesn't just rest on theproprietors of the  bar in Les Clefs I'm sure you will love it here.