Brocantes and such like

Hello

Our kids are spending a week in Dordogne at a place called Jumilhac-le-Grand. They love brocantes and such like so would appreciate any info as to where they may find them nearish to this place.

The French brocante site is dreadful and tells you nothing.

Also any other places worth a visit with a 50 mile driving radius.

Thanks in advance

It's worth searching for "depot vente", as sometimes those junk emporia are good sources of brocante.

What are the dates of their visit? Maybe somebody will suggest a good brocante fair in the area?

Angela

PS I think this post might do better in the "South West" section, as Dordogne is part of the Aquitaine region.

Brocantes are pretty much ubiquitous in the area so they shouldn't have any problems finding them. Problem will be how to carry all the purchases!

Within 50 miles there is lots and lots to do/see. A good starting point is the Jumilhac-le-Grand website itself and also this site http://www.perigorddecouverte.com/index-en.php

I have bought two things from Brocantes, c'est tout, I have been to many of them and I also used to run one for several years. Apart from two great purchases, it was just other people's tat and unfortunately I have enough of that at home!

So what on earth would you buy to struggle to carry the purchases? What do you posters buy? And what is the OP looking for?

Well, large garden bench, like those in parks. Full-size, coin-operated "baby foot" table ( had to use the trailer to get that home). And my daughter bought a big, heavy overmantel mirror that would only fit into my car at a strange angle. ?

Angela

Rumour has it that she found me in a brocante, in the luggage section, marked hopeless case, free to anyone willing to take it away! Needed a can of oil to get the mechanism working so I could walk as far as the trailer too. Kept trying to take me back but the brocante owner said a very firm 'NON'

Carolski,

We usually look through the regional newspapers: Ouest-France in Brittany, Normandy, and Pays de la Loire, Sud Ouest in Aquitaine, etc for brocantes and also vide greniers (attic clearance). A lot of these move around, so dates aren't always the same.

David 

If you google Brocantes24Dordogne you should get a useful listing. As dwmcn said check the local papers for dates.

Most brocantes are held on a Sunday though sometimes they are on Saturdays or another weekday if it's a public holiday.

Responses are very useful, and I shall certainly keep an eye out for them.

Can I point out, however, that most that are arranged on a one-off or infrequent basis are the equivalent of the English "Car Boot Sale", as noted by Idun. Mostly tat, but a gem may possibly be found - hence all the spawning of various television programmes in England(UK).

As a direct result of this thread I have spent a couple of hours today looking at what is available in the French "troc.com" store near to our house in France. I didn't realise that they advertise their products on-line and I must say that a lot of the large items of "French" furniture in our house is sourced from the "Troc".  Delivery was relatively cheap, but now is very expensive. We do tend to go quite regularly to see what is available. I understand that the items are owned by private sellers and the company charges a commission on a sale.

NB I have no connection with them apart from as a customer.