[8-|]If Im coming from Carcassonne which is the nearest/nicest beach to head for.

When I say nice I mean quiet, away from crowds, nice sandy and easy to swim in , plenty of parking, just one or 2 cafes and clean.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Many Thanks 

[quote user="pads"]

[8-|]If Im coming from Carcassonne which is the nearest/nicest beach to head for.

When I say nice I mean quiet, away from crowds, nice sandy and easy to swim in , plenty of parking, just one or 2 cafes and clean.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

[/quote]

I think the beach which meets all your requirements is Leucate Plage, but all beaches in the area will be busy until the end of August. This beach is the one I always us, it is south of Narbonne and can be reached from Carcassone by using Autoroute A61 and then A9 direction Perpignan leaving at Junction 40.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?T1671618D  this link will work but be patient.

Baz

As Baz says everything will be busy until the end of August. I would also recommend Leucate Plage as well as its 'little sister' Le Franqui just around the corner which is smaller but still has a few restaurants etc. If you are staying in Carcassonne itself there is a lake which has been developed as a beach and swimming place-lifegaurds, pedalos etc which I have seen out of season but never used. Maybe others have and might be able to remember its name??

Thanks everyone for those sugestions. KKK are you out there on your hols at the mo? which beach were you on ? Im glad you didnt lose your clothes to. Grrrrrr dont you hate thieves, cut their bits off[6]

Hope you are both having fun

The Lake at Carcassone is called Lac de la Cavayere head towards Montlegun which is signposted off the N113.  There is also another good swimming lake Lac de Montagnes on the D118 just south of Mazamet has a beach, bbq area, couple of restaurants, crazy golf .... or the quieter lake at Pradelles which also has a beach. 

Try Les Agyuades beach just passed Gruissan on the road to Narbonne Plage - nothing thre except beach. No bars, restaurants, shops..... look carefuly for it as it is hard to find.

Hi Pads.

From where you will be comming from if you want to go to Lac de la Cavayere, they also have the crazy golf, pedelos, but no restaurant. Your best route would be through Trebbes and onto the N113 to Carcassonne, follow the signs to La Cité and just after you have turned off the N113 and crossed over it (about 1/4 mile after crossing the 113) you will see Lac de la Cavayere signed posted to the left. They have a really nice beach there. We walk our dog round the lake, about 3 1/2 miles, a lovely walk. If you like adventure they have an INCREDIBLE adventure park with walkes through the trees and I mean through the canopies, about 40 odd feet up! Through hoops, along single wires, arial runways. Oh if I were a young man again (who said poor old sod?). If I can help more then e-mail or PM moi...

Another lake is up n the Montagne Noir towards Revel, Lac Ferriole. Loads of restaurants, including a favorite of ours (OHs birthday Sept..), beach and all the usual goodies. The only thing is that it isn't at it's fullest at the moment, but that's not a problem. They drained it last winter, for repairs. Nothing lasts these daze, it was only built 400 odd years ago. And it hasn't filled completely yet. When it is full it's almost 60 hectairs. P.P.Ricard did a hell of a job on that one. It was the first part of the Canal du Midi, to make sure they always had water and was built with his own money (good grief, history lesson tooo?)

Good luck with your signing. You know where we are, pop in for a koffy (?).

John.

P.S. There are some lovely beaches on the Med coast too, so I've been told... [kiss]

Hello Jonzjob

Thanks for that. Didnt know about the lake near Carcassonne how far is it? from the Cite in miles /or mins walking? Is there good parking there?

Would love to meet for a coffee, when we are in carcassonne town centre we use the one on the square, I think it was called "le chat" but im not sure. it was next to a sewing machine shop and just past the credit argigcole bank do you know the one I mean? It would be nice to meet there one morning when its closer to the date we will talk again as I dont have a clue what we will be doing yet when we get there, as the most important things to sort out are arranging paying the electric bills poll tax and water rates and how to sort those payments while we arnt there , so that could take one day or 3 weeks whos knows? but we will speak again later many thanks

Hi Pads, I've just had a look at my map programme and it tells me that from the train station in Carcassonne it's 8.8Km to the lake, about 5 1/2 miles. There is loads of good parking just a couple of hundred yards from the lake. The beach is called Carcassonne Plage, Carcassonne's own...

We know the coffee shop, but haven't used it. We normally go to The Petty Moka in Place Carnot on the West facing side of the square. They are one of the 2 places that gring the coffee fresh as they use it. Not sure where the other place is? We walked away from Chez Felix, next to Le Chat, after being ignored by the waiter for about 10 mins. He served people next to us who had just arrived and decided not to see our efforts to attract his attention..

John.

Hello John Mmmm your place sounds better, I love my coffee fresh ground its a rare treat around here, We only used that one as it was the first we tried so each time we both wandered off to do our own thing it was just a of meet you back at that cafe, and they were nice to us so we went back, but as soon as we have the time to stand still and relax im sure we will try more around the square, What days do you go into town, I will try to get in on the same one, we like the market days when the square is full of stalls, I think we may be spending some time at the bank there trying to explain our standing orders we need setting up. Do you know if I dont have a bill to look at where can I find the banking details of the 2 local taxes and the water and electric people? Do they have email addresses?

speak soon [:D]   

• 1 month later...