Cyprus based FX brokers...

Jako

[quote user="sweet 17"]Jako, do you mean that they'll take the levy even if your money only stays with the FX brokers for a day or two?[/quote]Since it is a one-off tax it should only apply if your money is in the Cyprus bank at the present moment.

I guess the answer in future is to make sure your funds are lodged somewhere you approve.

My FX company lodges payments in separate client transaction accounts with Lloyds TSB Bank plc. These accounts are designated for the receipt of client funds.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Jako"]@sweet17: if your money is there right now, then yes.

[/quote]

Ah, thank goodness it isn't, Jako [:D]

[/quote]

It does not seem to matter now where it is .   It does not seem to matter if people thought that their funds in Euro-zone banks were covered by government assurances that up to a certain limit they were  protected ... If they decide to call  their grab on it a "tax" it looks like any previous  government guarantee is worthless  ... Now somebody convince me it wont happen anywhere else in  EU now its been introduced for Cyprus

Yes, Frederick, I don't doubt that they'll all be at it.  That's why I said on the other thread on the bail out that I hope this doesn't give anyone else ideas only for Sue56 to remind me that they already do in France, via the contributions sociaux.

[quote user="Frederick"] Now somebody convince me it wont happen anywhere else in  EU now its been introduced for Cyprus
[/quote]

It is not official here in Cyprus yet , parliament have to approve it , meeting tomorrow.

Sure. They can either opt for the banks and government to go bankrupt or to accept the conditions of the bail-out.

For the savers the choice would be no money at all or at least 90% of their deposit.

But there is bound to be a poor chap somewhere that does not realise yet that the payment for his new house in Europe is suddenly10% short.[:(]