Sunday next, approx 9 or 10pm on BBC2 is a programme about a family relocating to Brittany with four kids and not being able to find work etc. Might be interesting for those contemplating the move but have no idea of what they could be in for.

• 2 weeks later...

What sort of people relocating to France would you class as fools?  I have a family of 3 children and have had a house in Brittany since January.  We have now put our house on the market and are moving to France as soon as weve sold.  I've been learning the language for a year so although i'm not fluent i can just about get by and at least make the effort to speak the language of the country i will be living in.  Weve thought long and hard about this move and feel it will be a much more luxurious and free life for our children.  Are we fools?  If we don't try these things in life we'll never learn, will we?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as this is a very big and daunting move, although we have no doubts that it is definatley the right thing to do at this moment in time.

On the face of it you don't seem like fools, you appear to have done your homework, you are studying the language and you have survived the minefield of buying a house!  Do you have a means of supporting yourselves, other than B&B?Gites etc?  I think this seems to be the main sticking point. Good luck anyway!

I think that the people mentioned that are on this program, is the 'Get a New Life' or something like that? According to the TV mag here in UK, it's on next week for 3 programmes each 1 hour long, so the one last week was'nt a one off.

Regards,

Bob

Edited this as my TV mag was totally wrong, it's about Goa!

We watched last night's one with the couple moving to Goa. It was so much better viewing than the one on France because it bought it all into perspective that France is not the only complicated place regarding paperwork to move to. It was nice too to see somewhere different and the mentality behind the people to want to go there in the first place.

these programs are very interesting to watch and i actually learn quite alot from them.  It actually makes me feel quite upset that i am going to put my children through the tears and upset of going to a new foreign school.  When i c some of the kids on these programs i feel sad for them and i am actually doing the same to my children in a few months.  I am doing it for a better life for my family so hopefully the heart-ache will be worth it.  Any advice 2 help my move easier will be great

Cary

[quote]these programs are very interesting to watch and i actually learn quite alot from them. It actually makes me feel quite upset that i am going to put my children through the tears and upset of going t...[/quote]

Hello Brumble,

Do not know how old your children are, but are they having french lessons as well? this would go a long way to help them to fit in quicker.One other thing,good for you!as you say you never know until you try.Good luck.

best wishes,Andrew & Jackie

Thanks Andrew and Jackie.  Do you live in France?  Our children are 3, 7 and 10 and although i thought about french lessons private tutors charge £10 per hour per child, they won't teach a child of 3 so i tried to encourage their school here to start up a french club and they weren't interested so more fool our education system, if they don't think a 2nd language benefits our kids then thank god i'm moving!  I've been trying to encourage them with french books and cd roms etc.  It was all going really well until while in France a few months ago my 10 year old shouted out "bon appetite" to a little french boy who was chatting in french to them, not quite sure wot my 10 year old was thinking at that moment in time.

Hopefully they will all adapt pretty well.  We'll know in time anyway

Cary

As long as you're prepared for the fact that it might not work out and that you might have to return to uk I think there's nothing wrong with taking a few risks for the sake of a challenge and an adventure. Even if things aren't as you hoped it will be a learning experience for the whole family.Our children are  adults now, but when they were young we all moved to Singapore. In some ways it was great but overall a bit of a flop and we were glad to return to uk. But I look back on that period of our life as a positive learning experience.  Also children seem to adjust quicker than adults. Good luck - Pat.

[quote]We watched last night's one with the couple moving to Goa. It was so much better viewing than the one on France because it bought it all into perspective that France is not the only complicated place ...[/quote]

Val

Re. the Goa move; they have been showing follow-up programmes this week between 18.00 and 19.00. Interesting to see how this couple, and others, are progressing.

The Telegraph T.V. guide indicated that these follow-up programmes would be about the Kew family in Brittany this week but the guide was incorrect. Maybe the Kew family will be shown next week.

Gill

Thanks Gill. We watched it on tuesday night but as we were moving our daughter into her studio yesterday we didn't get back in time. It's very interesting to see somewhere different to France,but it seems to be just as frustrating sometimes.

Thanks Gill. We watched it on tuesday night but as we were moving our daughter into her studio yesterday we didn't get back in time. It's very interesting to see somewhere different to France,but it seems to be just as frustrating sometimes.

Thanks whoever privatley E mailed me.  Its a good job we don't all want to learn english then as there is no way i'de pay £45 per hour to do it!  Its quite frustrating when you want your children to do their best in life and everyone charges an absolute fortune, is it too much to ask for a school to try and start up an after school club so our children can learn a foreign language?  After all they don't seem to have problems with football clubs and art clubs and dance clubs etc! 

[quote]Thanks whoever privatley E mailed me. Its a good job we don't all want to learn english then as there is no way i'de pay £45 per hour to do it! Its quite frustrating when you want your children to d...[/quote]

Brumble,

Like anyone else, I know you only want what is best for your kids but aren't you really just interested in this after school help in learning French for your kids as you are leaving the UK to come and live in France ?

As you have already stated, once your house is sold, you will be to live in your Breton home but you want someone to put a fair amount of time, trouble and probably expense over this but knowing all along thay you will be leaving, Is that fair?

Do you have much support from others, if so, let them get involved now, so when you leave they can't accuse you of starting something purely for your own end but for the possible benefit of the school. Not all parents are like you, unfortunately perhaps and don't even care that their kids can learn French.

Let's be honest if you live in the UK there are probably a lot more academic subjects that could do with after school time and that is probably why so many small "pay to learn French clubs for kiddies" that I have noticed springing up all over the place in the UK.

Your kids will learn French as quickly as they learned to ride their bikes once they are installed in school over here.

Good luck for when you do arrive in France.

>>>, is it too much to ask for a school to try and start up an after school club so our children can learn a foreign language<<<<

And do French schools offer this facility to learn English after school?

Years ago the headmaster of the primary school that my children attended was keen to start an after school French club and approached an experienced French teacher who was not working and who had children at the school. Apparently he expected that she would either do it out of the goodness of her heart or at a 'low' rate. Her reply was that her parents went without so that she could get her qualifications and she didn't feel she should sell herself short !

dear brumble, it's good you want to introduce the language to the children, but don't be too hard on the uk schools, they don't teach english to the children in maternelle here either! if you have cable or sky, why don't you sit and watch that on the french channel, or have it on in the background. good luck with your adventure.

dear brumble, it's good you want to introduce the language to the children, but don't be too hard on the uk schools, they don't teach english to the children in maternelle here either! if you have cable or sky, why don't you sit and watch that on the french channel, or have it on in the background. good luck with your adventure.

Modern foreign languages are not part of the Key Stage 2 National Curriculum in the UK, so schools that teach them do so in lunchtime or after-school clubs, if they have someone on the staff who speaks the language. If they don't (which is quite likely as its not part of the NC) they have to hire someone - and as it's their job, they expect to get paid. Schools aren't exactly rolling in cash, so they don't take on extra expense lightly. Private tuition at £45 an hour seems about the going rate for adults, again the people doing it are making a living.

I must say that this smacks, to me, of another case of "I want something done - get the school to do it".

Have you contacted local libraries etc. to see if there are language clubs at secondary schools (some language colleges operate them for KS2 pupils) or other venues? I think you will have difficulty getting anyone to take on a 3-year old, though, and most will expect some sort of payment to cover costs.

relanguages after school.  Same here in Ireland.  It's not on the NC so I've asked the parents association to see if it can be included with other after-school activities.  We already have German and Arabic on that list as a couple of interested parents organised it a few years ago.  It' s not the schools 'problem' if I chose to buy a house in France, it's mine.  ANyway a teacher has been found. E35 an hour and he'll take up to 10 kids a time.  So that's OK.  Won't take pre-schoolers of course but then they aren't allowed in the school anyway. 

Brumble,

It surely is a big step especially with children. The older they are the harder it is to settle (as a generalisation) but nothing ventured nothing gained. Be aware that French schools are more acedemically driven than in UK and are great if your kids are above average intelligence - not so good if they are below average. You seem to have a good attitude and I hope it works out. Our daughter absolutely loves maternelle and we couldn't be happier with her progress. Don't beat yourself up over what you are doing to you kids. You have the best of intentions and in the long run when they fully understand they will thank you for it. Failing to plan is planning to fail, do the homework and suck this forum dry for information and opinion. You are never alone and there are always people willing to help those who are trying to help themselves and others.

And as for your comment BATTYPUSS - if you are sick of trying to help fools then why are you still using the forum. Presumably just to help yourself. If you were to continue to help fools, perhaps afterwards they would not be so foolish but actually educated and better prepared. Even a fool has something to offer. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

>>>And as for your comment BATTYPUSS - if you are sick of trying to help fools then why are you still using the forum<<<

I think if you read the post again it says 'not on this forum'

For what its worth, I think most people who arrive here have at least shown they have basic nouse to realise that things ARE different in France and that they are interested in finding out about the best way to do things

( Except perhaps for the lady who had never been to France but was determined to move there, a post I'm afraid that was lost in the move to this software :-( )

Whats that saying? Perfect Planning Prevents Problems (well thats the polite version!!!)

Jirac18

Thanks for the advice.  How old is your daughter?  Where in France do u live?  We are all really looking forward to coming to Brittany as soon as weve sold our property here.  Even the children want to come.  I am thinking of their future happiness before myself and if i can give them more in such a beautiful country like France then its well worth the try.  Less stressed parents definately make happier children.

Send me a private e mail if you like, it will be nice to hear a bit more about yourself.

Cary

No, I would not categorise you as fools and am quite sure your children will be far better off and yattering away in French in no time flat! My eldest daughter did and she certainly could not be classed as a genius, as well as being terminally lazy...

One family I tried to help recently would definately fit into this category, however. They have 4 children all under 9), speak not one word of French between them and mostly wanted to know about benefits here and free doctors. They didn't listen to a word I said and rang several times to complain about the weather; they didn't like driving in the rain! Like I can change that?

I am more than happy to help anyone prepared to listen. After nearly 12 years, I think I have figured SOME things out, can translate if necessary and have reached the stage where the "fonctionaires" make me laugh. Then again, that could be the wine.

Battypuss

I hope we will still be happy in France after 12 years, although weve got to get there yet.  I have a few friends near our house,  one has invited me when i arrive to her French club on a tuesday where a few english get together with a french lady and brush up on their french speaking.  I'de like to think i have thought alot about what were doing as its such a HUGH step and i do understand about the people who jump in with both feet thinking its all going to be so easy, i am in no doubt that i at times in the beginning will be pulling my hair out and watching my much loved children upset but i'm sure it will all be worth it. Fingers crossed hey?

Cary