I am looking to open a bank account in the Domfront area.

My French is not too hot (but taking lessons) and I am very nervous of attempting to do something so important.

Can anyone recommend a bank (other than Britline) they have found particulary helpful.

[quote]I am looking to open a bank account in the Domfront area. My French is not too hot (but taking lessons) and I am very nervous of attempting to do something so important. Can anyone recommend a bank...[/quote]

On Tuesday, ('cos they are closed tomorrow) walk into your local CA and say to the nice girl behind the counter;

Je veux ouvrir un compte

Take with you; your passport and a proof of address (not a telephone bill, as they don't seem to like these) - an elecricity bill, less than 6 months old is ideal.

As long as you remember your name, address and DOB, you will be OK. If they try to sell you something, which they will, just look dumb.

Works for me!

As there are so many English around Domfront I am sure you will find somebody able to speak English in any of the larger bank branches - CA for one. I know somebody who arrived in Domfront with hardly any French and first thing she did was walk in to one of the banks (I think it was Caisse d'Epargne) and open an account with the aid of just a French dictionary (and the other paperwork mentioned by Nick of course). I'm sure the English bookshop or any of the other English-speaking businesses in the area will be able to advise if you need more information.

I don't think CCF is represented in Domfront. It's difficult enough dealing with different regions of what appears to be the same bank in France, so I'm not convinced there is any real benefit from cross-channel connections.

I've found Caisse d'Epargne to be hugely helpful and efficient - and they have started paying interest on current accounts, too, the first French bank to do so, I understand. Plus they offer a free 400-euro overdraft facility, which I think is also unusual.

[quote]As there are so many English around Domfront I am sure you will find somebody able to speak English in any of the larger bank branches - CA for one. I know somebody who arrived in Domfront with hardly...[/quote]

**I don't think CCF is represented in Domfront. It's difficult enough dealing with different regions of what appears to be the same bank in France, so I'm not convinced there is any real benefit from cross-channel connections.**

Good advice, Will, and something newcomers should remember after they get here. We opened our C/A acct 2yrs before we came here while we still lived near Bournemouth. No problem at all.

Personally, I've been with La Poste for years and find them very efficient - plenty of branches all over France and open on Saturdays too!

mm I've heard that kayjay (probably from you!) and am seriously thinking of opening an account with them.  La Poste is 3k from our house and the nearest CA bank 11k, and since it seems like a good idea to get an account nearer to home than ours presently is (house in Charente, account in Calais!), La Poste seems like a good call!

La Poste generally gets a pretty good press but it's worth remembering that, just as in Britain, rural post offices are closing down rapidly in France. Bigger towns like Domfront should be fine, but if you are miles from anywhere you could lose your bureau de poste, and bank. Often, as in the case of a commune near us, basic post office services are offered in another establishment, such as a bar, but you may find it's a long journey to a main post office for anything but the most basic of banking services. Other minor down-sides that some people have found is that in a rural post office everybody knows your business, and there can be a long wait at times.

[quote]La Poste generally gets a pretty good press but it's worth remembering that, just as in Britain, rural post offices are closing down rapidly in France. Bigger towns like Domfront should be fine, but i...[/quote]

**La Poste generally gets a pretty good press but it's worth remembering that, just as in Britain, rural post offices are closing down rapidly in France.**

We haven't had to be IN our branch for over two years. I do all of our banking online and with the bank machine and debit card with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks very much for all the advice. We are over next week so I will pop into Domfront armed with my dictionary and go for it.

Just one question, and I feel really stupid asking it.. should the utility bill be from my permanent UK address (where ideally I'd like all correspondence sent) or from the house in France?

[quote]Thanks very much for all the advice. We are over next week so I will pop into Domfront armed with my dictionary and go for it. Just one question, and I feel really stupid asking it.. should the utili...[/quote]

**Just one question, and I feel really stupid asking it.. should the utility bill be from my permanent UK address (where ideally I'd like all correspondence sent) or from the house in France?**

Not sure what you are asking, Kip.

Yes, if you want correspondence sent to your UK address you need a 'comte etranger' so should take a UK utility bill. It's just proof of address to comply with money laundering rules. Not all French banks seem to like opening accounts for non-French residents, and some may have other requirements, though Credit Agricole Normande (at least in the Domfront area) has always been fine in this respect.