Hello Everyone.

Having Moved to France Small village Lespinoy at the end of August.

For those who don't know Lespinoy is located Between Montrieul and Hesdin in the Canche Valley.

Now my French is up to order Baguette standard tickets and general get by situations but by no means conversational.

I have met one of my neighbours who is content in the knowlegde that we live nest to his family but see's little need in persueing any other type of aquaitance at the momement.

The thing i find i am missing with my husband away four days a week is conversation and entertainment. e.g going to the cinema once in a while.

But being still relatively new to the area i don't know where best to go.

This is where i (damsel in need of sanity replenishment) ask all you wonderful and more knowledgeable folk where to go for entertainment.

Also while i am here and posting. As i do not know what French people actually like to converse about, (different cultural prospectives) i am somewhat lacking in confidence to strike up an attempt at the momement to start a conversation in fear of making a faux pas.

So if any of you know of where else i can go to meet other English people in order to build my french conversational skills over a coffee i would also be grateful of the information.  I find not knowing anyone very lonely at the moment.

So it is I bow to your Kindness and knowledge.

Merci Tellement pour votre temp et comprehension.

Sarah Tiller.

• 2 months later...

Hi Sarah, have just bought a second home near Crecy en Ponthieu. It's half an hour south of Hesdin. They have a small cinema in the town of Crecy. Don't know if anything is ever shown with English subtitles but it's ocurred to me that it's a great way to learn French.

Park up in the small square as you enter (on the right) and pop into the Syndicate D'Initiative, they have flyers with film details and times.

Here's a link to the allocine site www.allocine.fr which should take you direct to the relevant page
http://www.allocine.fr/seance/salleproche.html?codepostal=62600&j=0&version=0

I see mention of cinemas in Le Touquet and Montreuil. You could try putting your exact postcode in and see if anything else closer to home comes up.

VF means French version - i.e. if it's a non-French film it'll be dubbed into French;
VO means "version originale" - i.e. if it's a British or American film it'll be screened in English.

[EDIT] Just found that if you click on "Elargir la recherche" at the bottom of the Allocine page, you get far more cinemas shown up - including the Cyrano at Crécy!

Angela   [~]

[quote user="Tillergirl"]

Also while i am here and posting. As i do

not know what French people actually like to converse about, (different

cultural prospectives) i am somewhat lacking in confidence to strike up

an attempt at the momement to start a conversation in fear of making a

faux pas.

So

if any of you know of where else i can go to meet other English people

in order to build my french conversational skills over a coffee i would

also be grateful of the information.  I find not knowing anyone

very lonely at the moment.

[/quote]

There's a weekly French class at the Richelieu cafe/restaurant in

Hesdin where you might make some progress with the language and also meet

some new people.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick.[*]

There's a weekly French class at the Richelieu cafe/restaurant in Hesdin where you might make some progress with the language and also meet some new people.

Patrick

Thankyou for all your replies i have located the cinema in Montruiel and had a glorious evening out a few weeks ago.[:D]

Thanks for the french class information i will pop into Hesdin tomorrow for more information.

Bonne année a tous.

Sarah.

• 3 weeks later...

The class is run by the french patron of the Café a reasonable price of 10 euros 50cents. Includes a drink.[C]

I went into the beginners group even though i have dome knowledge of French because since arriving here last August have used very little and lost confidence and so wanted to cement the basics.

Pascal the teacher does run a more advanced group i think that is on Wednesdays.

Anyway relitivly small group there were there were 7 of us as my husband couldn't be there being in London.

We read passages to work on pronunciation then translated. Next came the fun bit Dictation.  He didi tell us what sound base we where to look for in the phases we where to write down what we thought he said. Corrections were made later. I magaed to get a couple of phaese completely right.

Dictation is never a favourite of mine as i am hearing impaired and often misunderstand what is said to me.[:$]

And we did a small section on grammer work.  This week difference in rules and pronunciation between S & Z soincluded working on words containing  s ss c ç and z.

Homework for next lesson is to entend the dictaion phases into complete sentances.

As I said I have some knowledge of    French already and so in the group there i was one of the better stundents in that class but even i managed to learn a couple of new things.

The class has only just started so if anyone else wants to join you won't be too far behind the beginners is Friday 3-4 at the Richlelieu Café in Hesdin. You will need to pop overthere for details of exactly when the more advanced group is, I would say it is definatly worth giving a go.[:D]

If you do decide to come you will need a pen or pencil and an excersise book.

So there you have it my run down.

Hope you all like.

Sarah.

Thanks for your comrehensive reply Sarah.

I'm hoping to spend July and August at our place in Saint Valery sur Somme, and I don't suppose the classes continue through the summer hols.

I may manage to get out earlier so perhaps I may be able to come.

Bon Courage

The advanced group is on mondays at 3:00 PM. I went there last monday for the first time. Pascal explained us a bit of grammar, we (six in all I think) collectively solved a crossword puzzle and we all read some passages from a Molière-play. This may sound far more advanced than it actually is, even if your grasp of the language is fairly limited this could still be the class for you. Anyway, you can find that out yourself for just 11 euro's. Address: Le Richelieu, 1 rue Henri Catteau, Hesdin, 0321813658.

Robert.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not been for a few weeks.  But in general the classes are fun.

Slightly on the easy side for myself so plan on upping to the advanced group some time soon.

Hope all your plans are going well for your arrival here in a few months.

Big tip by some good winter thermals you will need them.

We were over in February half term and it was very frosty every morning.  We have experienced the Pas de Calais winter weather, however have also experienced 20 degrees in February!!  Are you enjoying the lifestyle - I am a bit in trepidation moving over having worked full time for the last ten years, think I will miss the chat with my friends.  But I will give it a damn good try.  We do have quite a few friends over there already.

Best wishes

Suey