Informative forum...thank you

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year to all 27's!

Reading all your posts is making me home sick for our newly adopted land... and we've not even moved in yet (maybe mainly due to only having half a roof, thanks to building work!!). We stayed in Le Petit Castel, visit before last and found it very comfortable - but didn't try the******hon d'Or. Had a couple of meals in the bistro around the corner (can't remember what it's called) which was good (not gourmet, but will go there again). Looking forward to trying******hon d'Or soon however - and will definately go to La Poste once they reopen.

Has there been lots of snow in our area? If so, I suppose I'll have to resign myself to a longer re-roofing job! Ho Hum...

Ewa

Hi to all,

amp - paul, have a look at the owning french property section. There is a good string there on the fosse.

Alan, our booze cruise was P&O Portsmouth to Le Havre. This was the Daily Mail offer which I placed on the travel section a few weeks ago. The £9.98 offer was for 24 hrs in France with bookings to be made by 10 January. They will now charge you £20 (web) or £25 for this booking for travel up to 25 March.

P&O is also offering a good deal for 48 hrs in France. This costs £48 and is available for booking until 24 March. We have already booked for the first weekend of March. We get the Friday afternoon boat out of P/mouth and return on the Sunday afternoon boat from L.H. This maximises the weekend to the full. It helps as I do not work Friday afternoon so we can get off straight to the Ferry port @ lunch time. 

Looking forward to it.

Robin Wolf

amp

We had our ground tested for permeability (or so the neighbours told me - in fact he said that the inspector did a test on our boundary and gave us both the same result!)- passed ok which was lucky as we were one of only 3 in the village to do so. The rest are having to install filter beds.

Robin

When you posted the info regarding the Daily Mail offer it was a telephone only offer - have they now published a code for the web site. We went to the Vivelafrance exhibition on Saturday and booked a crossing on their stand - similar deal of £49 for a 48 hour return.

Brittany Ferries were offering cheap 24 hour stays as well.

We're going out at the end of Feb for some gardening and to chase up the roofer. Out on Thursday evening, back on Sunday with the opportunity to visit the farmer's market in PA on Friday morning.

Best Regards

Alan.

Amp

No, it was organised by the Maire as far as I know. All properties in the village were tested. We did have some sort of warning and we were asked to complete a form stating number of rooms, size of tank area of property etc. but that was some time (certainly several months) before the tests were made.

Best Regards

Alan.

Sorry to stray off the fosse issue....Happy New Year to all 27's!

Reading all your posts is making me home sick for our newly adopted land... and we've not even moved in yet (maybe mainly due to only having half a roof, thanks to building work!!). We stayed in Le Petit Castel, visit before last and found it very comfortable - but didn't try the C-o-c-hon d'Or. Had a couple of meals in the bistro around the corner (can't remember what it's called) which was good (not gourmet, but will go there again). Looking forward to trying C-o-c-hon d'Or soon however - and will definately go to La Poste once they reopen.

Has there been lots of snow in our area? If so, I suppose I'll have to resign myself to a longer re-roofing job! Ho Hum...

Ewa

PS OK, back to fosse issues...!

Hi to All 27's,

Alan, I booked the P&O offer via phone, I must admit I did not use the internet.

Missing la belle France under this gloomy Jan weather in the UK.

Looking forward to returning for a few days in mid Feb.

Keep the string going

Cheers  Robin Wolf

Hi 27's,

Looking forward to the next trip to Eure (27) in 2 weeks time. Hows the weather been and wonder if I need to take a snow plough (only joking).

I see this thread has a rating of 5 stars. Well deserved and well done to all you 27's for keeping the topic going.

Jon

(27)

Morning all in 27

Can anybody tell me if there is a cheese we can buy in our area similar to mature  cheddar that my better half loves????

Also is there anywhere in our area that rents out vans???

Thanks alot and a happy new year to you all from Sue Lieurey (mainly KSA)

Morning Sue!  I'm not a real '27', but  I often stray over the border from 14, as I have a little holiday cottage about 500mtrs from the 14/27 border (and I have also sold houses in the Eure region, and helped others to sell theirs...).

Anyway - cheese..  Mimolette is about the nearest I have found to Cheddar, and you can get normal, regular variety, old or very old - the older it is the stronger it tastes (and the more expensive it is!).  In cooking, it behaves like cheddar!  You can sometimes find cheddar in the supermarkets - it has been seen in LeClerc in Honfleur, and is usually always for sale in Carrefour in Caen, and at the shopping centre up towards le Havre (can't recall the name of it at this time of the morning!). 

Monoprix in Lisieux is a good source of foreign foods - surprising things from time to time, like cheddar, or 'real' bacon, and once last summer - oh joy!  scones!  Over in Manche region, I know that Brits  have asked their supermarket managers to stock certain things - and they have!  Worth a try!

As for van rental, try the yellow pages on line (www.pagesjaunes.fr - and there is an English version on line!), or if it is because you are buying furniture etc, most of the stores have their own vans you can hire.

Hope this helps, and HNY to you too!

[quote]Morning Sue! I'm not a real '27', but I often stray over the border from 14, as I have a little holiday cottage about 500mtrs from the 14/27 border (and I have also sold houses in the Eure region, a...[/quote]

Thanks for that Causette, is the supermarket Monoprix the one on the opposite side of the road to the electrical shop DARTY??

We need a van of some sort for all the things we need to buy from DIY places like Bricomarche.

Sue Lieurey (mainly KSA)

Sue

The brico places often have their own vans that customers can borrow for minimal cost. Bricomarche in Pont Audemer certainly had one a year or two ago and I've seen them at other Brico yards.

You've probably found, like us, that the builders merchants seem to charge the earth for delivery to Lieurey and surrounding area and often quote two week lead times for a delivery. We did find that MagMat in Epaignes (think I've got the name right but they are visible from the Lieurey-Beuzeville road to the North of Epaignes) were helpful when they realised we were buying a lot of material and after the first delivery the cost, and delay, plummeted so that we got next day delivery for reasonable cost. Always friendly and gave advice on materials and alternatives. They also have an excellent range and prices (for the products I bought) weren't much above the brico stores. I also found their measures for sand and gravel were very generous when I collected with my trailer.

Regards

Alan.

[quote]Sue The brico places often have their own vans that customers can borrow for minimal cost. Bricomarche in Pont Audemer certainly had one a year or two ago and I've seen them at other Brico yards. Yo...[/quote]

Hi Alan

Just wanted to say thanks for the reply, sorry it took so long.

Sue Lieurey 27 (mainly KSA) 

Hi to all 27's & east 14's,

To Bosgouet -- looks like none of us are full time in France with school aged kids!

Sue, what do you mean by glass blocks & fittings?? for what??

If you can clarify, we may be able to help.

10 days to the next visit, looking forward to it.

Anyone got any interesting news?

Cheers

Robin Wolf

Hi all 27's

Good to read all the posts from our area.

Returning to 27 in 3 days time and its been a long wait.

www.cdt-eure.fr

website in french/english.

I read somewhere that the external walls of Rouen Cathederal is having some kind of light show depicting Monet's art in the summer months. July seems to come to mind.

Jon

[quote]Hi to all 27's & east 14's, To Bosgouet -- looks like none of us are full time in France with school aged kids! Sue, what do you mean by glass blocks & fittings?? for what?? If you can clar...[/quote]

Morning Robin

Thanks for the reply the glass blocks are used for decorative purposes or for shower cubicles which is what we would like to do, if you watch Big Strong Boys (we get it out here in Saudi) they have used them many times they are square blocks of thickened glass you can get either clear or coloured ones and apparently there are special fixings so they don't fall down can't be more specific as have only seen them on the telly  from what we have seen the finished products look quite attractive.

So any help would be much appreciated.

Envy you your visit to France in a few days, ENJOY.

Regards   Sue Lieurey 27 (mainly KSA)

Hi all, We are a mile from Moyaux and were wondering where you are all hiding?

We spent Christmas there and it was lovely with that snow on Christmas day. It was the first time I saw snow on Christmas day since I was a lad.

I use the Champion in Cormeilles which I think is a sweet little town and I love the smell of the fumes from the Calvados distillery.

What do they do in that Hipo service place?

Chuck