Just got some new English neighbours..and they are asking me questions to which I don't quite know the answers!! Hoped that someone could help with the following.....they have, as yet, mad no healthcare provisions(!) and were wondering, if sudenly taken ill, they could turn up at a Doctor and pay for a consultation/treatment???

Yes if they can afford it.

A simple consultation with a GP is only 22 euros.

BUT the costs of such things as X rays, a stay in Hospital, a course of medicines could be astronomical.

I am going into Hospital on Sunday. The daily cost (advertised in advance) is €797, 33 euros just for the hospital.

Not only can the bills be seriously scary (Ive recently spent nearly a year in hospital/rehab' and am still a daily out-patient - could happen to anybody....), but it's illegal to live here without healthcare provision.  Are they working/past UK state retirement age or early-retired? If the first two, then it's just a matter of paperwork.  If the latter it sounds as if they may be seriously ill-prepared for what is to come and some of the costs they face, but they may find our website helpful (see the newcomer's section).  It is voluntary and unpaid for and hopefully will provide some pointers for them.