New Roof Anyone?

I had been looking for a company/builder to replace the roof on my garage - I'm sure some of you have been there too.

This is for a property I have in the Morvan, Burgundy.

First problem, getting quotes. I contacted lots of people, some came and quoted, some never turned up and others said they would turn up when they were next passing. Okay, I guess you could say that is the same everywhere, even in the UK.

Secondly, when the quotes did come - the first one more than two weeks after they'd been to see the job, the prices were astronomical. Where talking nearly €40,000 for a 6.5 metre garage roof with no under felt.

Thirdly, time scales for starting the work varied from 4 months to 9 months.

Has anyone else got a similar story?

Then, EUREKA?

I found an English guy who quoted me less than €20,000 to re-do the roof in the French style (ie. using local slates and hooks, rather than nails) and a start date of three weeks.

I would be interested in your stories/thoughts along these lines.

Did all the devis quote materials & labour separately?

Assuming that the garage is 6.5 metres long then you're probably looking at about 25 square metres of tiling for a single garage. I don't know current French rates, but my UK 'Housebuilder's Bible', a couple of years old gives prices of up to £40 (€70 at current rates) per sq metre for materials and for labour about half that. Call it up to €100 per sq metre, or €25K for my estimate of your roof size, so your €20K sounds like a good deal. There's a lot more use of slate in northern France than in the UK nowadays so it's probable that prices are generally a bit lower overall.

Assuming your guy is properly registered & insured I'd say you've done well.

Whilst I have only read this post 'in passing' as it were, it beggars belief that all the stories you read when it comes to having work done, extols the 'use a French artisan' syndrome. This certainly does not. I had a quote for some decorating, papering only for 2 x 12' sq rooms. I had to strip the walls, clear everything ready, find the paper and paste and they wanted 900€ [:@]. A job that I considered could be done in 2 days based on the prep work already being done. Needless to say I declined their devis. Since got it done extremely well by a British guy for £250.  And completed in less than 2 days. [:D] I rest my case.

cartref

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]

Did all the devis quote materials & labour separately?

Assuming that the garage is 6.5 metres long then you're probably looking at about 25 square metres of tiling for a single garage. I don't know current French rates, but my UK 'Housebuilder's Bible', a couple of years old gives prices of up to £40 (€70 at current rates) per sq metre for materials and for labour about half that. Call it up to €100 per sq metre, or €25K for my estimate of your roof size, so your €20K sounds like a good deal. There's a lot more use of slate in northern France than in the UK nowadays so it's probable that prices are generally a bit lower overall.

Assuming your guy is properly registered & insured I'd say you've done well.

[/quote]

Your maths don't add up Albert.

25 square metres at 100€ per square metre is 2.500€. [:)]

40,000€ is a completely batty price.  This is more than I paid to have my entire house re-roofed including insulation, plus rebuilding the timber garage, and including 3 new chiens assis, all zinc guttering and downpipes etc etc.  (By French artisans).  They are taking the p*ss.

[quote user="cooperlola"]40,000€ is a completely batty price.  This is more than I paid to have my entire house re-roofed including insulation, plus rebuilding the timber garage, and including 3 new chiens assis, all zinc guttering and downpipes etc etc.  (By French artisans).  They are taking the p*ss.[/quote]

I suspect they don't want the job...

We are having our house re-roofed at the moment (due for completion by mid March).  The house is 'L' shaped, with a pigeonnier tower in the right angle (if you follow) - total floor area is 250 m2.  The bit that is being reroofed is the original part of the house, not the tower or the 'L' shaped extension.  The old tiles that are good are being salvaged and used to retile the front of the house (which has three windows

in the roof)  The rear is being tiled in new tiles (to match the roof on the 'L' extension etc.)  We are having the laths etc replaced where necessary and having the roof and loft spaces insulated .  We have been quoted just under 14,000 euros  for this - local French roofer doing the job.  Neighbour (and friend) is doing the insulating (the laine de verre in roofspace) and double boarding the mansarded ceilings in the newer extension (from the inside) - again to improve insulation.  Neighbours work isn't included in above reroofing quote.  For pic of house (to gauge area) www.design-spider.com/leBaradis

Keith, do check out your builder, make sure he is registered, make sure he has insurance and check references from people who have had similar work done.  I agree 40k sounds like a lot of money for such a small roof, but so does 20k to me, but if all the French are asking 40k and he is the only one asking 20k and he is available immediately, something doesn't add up here.  Make sure you are comparing apples with apples.  There are some dodgy blokes around.

Sue

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h17/powerdesal/IMGP1132.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h17/powerdesal/IMGP1130.jpg[/IMG]

Euro 6040, local French builder. Included removal of existing fibre-cement corrugated sheets, raising inboard edge of roof by an additional 20 inches or so (removing existing rows of slates). We bought materials, paid builder for labour. NW France .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kieth.

Hold your breath. I am also living in the Morvan. I have had my roof completely replaced minus the main roof beams. So new chevrons, latts, felt, terracotta tiles zinc guttering and finished to a very high standard. Local Artizan,roofer. A total of 90 m2 and the cost was €13000. So this guy must be building a new garage under the roof. I would insert a picture if I knew how. Come and take a look you are more than welcome.

Redcap

P.S. I forgot to mention I sold the old roof tiles and have been heating the house with all the old wood from the roof!