Anyone is Cher 18?

Hello

We might be moving to Cher 18 and was just wondering if anyone lives up there. Whats it like? ETC

Also my partner is a builder who is in the process of registering, so we was just wondering if there was a lot of work around the area.

Any information is greatly recieved

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Dimples

I have a house in Cher (18) at Aubigny Sur Nere although I dont live there full time at the moment. I have recently had work done - new roof, bathroom, bedrooms (phase 1) and am looking towards phase 2 at end of 2007 and beginning of 2008. This involves some internal reconstruction of rooms so a builder will be needed. Phase 3 is redoing outhouses into separate living accomodation.

Whether or not there is a lot of work around in the Cher I dont know. There are not many English around here and it is not really touristy. Perhaps thats why I like it!

The bigger towns like Bourges, Vierzon, Chateauroux might have work but you always have to compete with the local firms obviously.

Personally I love the region. It is quiet, friendly and there are some picturesque spots, beautiful Sologne forests, quaint villages, wine areas like Sancerre and Menetou-Salon, good shopping in Bourges, not far from the Loire valley Chateaux and 2 hours from Paris.

I am looking forward to retiring there next year but will still keep a home going in England as well.

Which part are you looking at? Is this a permanent move?

The Cher is a big department, we have a house near the southern borders of Cher, and I can tell you that in that area bordering the Indre dept 36 and the Creuse dept 23 any proper registered good quality builder will be fighting off work.

Combes

[quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="Dimples"]Hello

Also my partner is a building who is in the process of registering,

[/quote]

Can't help Dimples but that is funny, is he a big bloke ?

[Www].......................................................[:D]

[/quote]A brick s***house, mayhap?

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of Brits round where we are - just outside of Sancerre, but most are visits to second homes at holiday times.

I have to agree with Red mike in that it is a nice area to live and I can say that with some conviction as I've travelled around most of France over the past years.  We've been here just on six years now after selling up and moving out from the UK and yes, we did have our doubts and worries ( I'd have been concerend if there had not been!) but all that is behind us now and we are well settled in.  

Also as an aside, it seems to me also that many expats feel an obligation to seek out fellow countrymen - and I'm not sure that's always a good idea.... but each to their own.

We also know of a registered British builder operating out of La Charite if that's any help to anybody.

Hi,

we also have a house in cher, near sancerre and la charite, we have used it as a holiday home but are now going to live there perminently. 

Hence my free afternoon !!

We have never had any trouble finding a builder, or any other type of trade for the house but do wish you luck with your ideas,

Anna

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Bugbear"]

[quote user="Dimples"]Hello

Also my partner is a building who is in the process of registering,

[/quote]

Can't help Dimples but that is funny, is he a big bloke ?

[Www].......................................................[:D]

[/quote]A brick s***house, mayhap?[/quote]

Now, I restrained myself on that one...

Is his name Hall?

so that makes 5 - i do seem to remember someone else assisting with transport issues earlier in the year.

I am not trying to get an expat community going but it is nice to know who is around, especially as i am nosy and female !!!!!

Hi-

Another one here, but I'm American if that still counts.  We actually have a British couple who live up the road too.  And there is a gay American/ Bristish couple not 5 miles away.  I am sometimes surprised how much English I here spoken, even here in the deep, deep depths of the Cher.

One of  the draws of this department to me  is that it is very unknown (outside of Sancerre) and very "French country".  We are outside of La Guerche sur l'Aubois.  It is just minutes away from Apremont sur Allier- designated as one of the most beautiful villages in France.

Of course that counts. We have a Canadian living near here with his English wife...so maybe that counts as an American

Part of the attraction for us was the low level of Brits here - and that's not said in a negative sense because it's nice to talk English when your French is so bad.

Summer sat at a cafe in Dordogne is like being in London with the sun shining, and everybody is reading English language newspapers - they say every village has at bleast one French family! Summer in Sancerre and most of the English heard seems to be with an American accent, and the large language school just down from the square is run by.... an American!

[quote user="Bannon"]

Summer sat at a cafe in Dordogne is like being in London with the sun shining, and everybody is reading English language newspapers - they say every village has at least one French family! 

[/quote]

One of my golden rules is never buy an English paper. I get the local rag for news and gossip and L'Equipe to read on the cafe terrace. Bliss!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone thank you for your replies, we are now living near la charite, and have just got our internet on hence only getting back to you all now.

Its a lovely place to live. We havent really met anyone out here yet only a couple of the locals but our french is not very good.

Hi Dimples

Would your builder hubby be interested in supplying a quote for us ? We have permission for a new exit door from our kitchen and we would also like a new internal door, I think you may need to pm me with a reply to comply with rules,

abbo (Precy - 16km from la charite)

• 5 weeks later...

hi

sorry to have disappeared for a while too, internet and phone problems also - but now back allbeit with a different logon -could not get uk one too work- all in cher lets keep talking

would love to buy some small chicks but seem to have missed the season - anyone seen any in any markets resently?

abbo