Satellite TV in France

I bought a Satellite package from Costarama (twin LMB's)which I was told would received BBC1/2 plus CBBC. I can get Astra and Hotbird fine, but BBC is on Astra28.2 which I can at last get but only a few channels none of which are BBC except BBC24 hours (News). Does anyone have the setting for Astra28.2 as the Menu has so many options for the LMB's etc and I think the fault is in the settings as my Astra28.2 signal strength is 80..

Many thanks David H, I have checked out the site and there's plenty of information to go by,so hope I get a result. Trouble is most problems seem to be with SKY packages even though they seem to have a simple auto-tuning setup, my system has quite a few setting in Menue and I think that's where the problem of not getting BBC1 is. I can now get Astra28.2 but limited stations and I dont mean the encrypted ones....Thanks again Dave Brighton

Hi just wondered what size dish you have also what area you are in i.e. in france.Reason BBC on astra 28.2 has a tight beam to the uk not france.Also are you sure you are pointing the dish at astra 28.2 in other words sky?What other channels do you get i.e. do you get bbc 3/4?

To receive/decode the signal form astra and hotbird you need LNBs which are off set by a small amount. To also receive BBC1 you need a third LNB and an off set bracket at more the 5 degrees. Local Branch of ‘Pro & Cie’ did have the dish and arm available off the shelf but owner advised that they were ****!! Difficult to set up. In the event friend who wanted system settled for French Sat TV from one source only (long story)

I have seen dishes and decoders at Castorama which will receive BBC1,BBc2,BBC3 CBBC etc for the SKY transmitter but I have not seen the composite curve dishes and offset brackets to capture the two French language digital systems plus SKY from one dish.

I suggest sending a bit of money on the Satcure site downloading the book on installing SAT TV then deciding what you need.

Many thanks for the ideas on Astra28.2. I am located near Redon in Southern Brittany and looking at Astra28.2's footprint on the web even though it has a "Spot-Beam" my area seems to be in it.... When I select Astra28.2 in the Menu it tunes about 17 TV stations, no where as many as Astra & Hotbird which are in the 100's. I can for example get the Travel Station which is on 28.2 so I'm wondering if it's in the settings part of the menu.

As to Anton, I bought the Castorama package because I was told by friends that people they know have it and get BBC1 ok. I'm now after their telephone number to see what they did. Thanks for the info on the 3rd LMB and off set arm will keep it in mind....makes you want to chuck it all in and buy a windup radio...Cheers Dave

[quote]I bought a Satellite package from Costarama (twin LMB's)which I was told would received BBC1/2 plus CBBC. I can get Astra and Hotbird fine, but BBC is on Astra28.2 which I can at last get but only a ...[/quote]

My signal strength is about same as yours, but we have no probs and recieve all BBC channels plus about 100 odd other English speaking channels.

We have a cheap digital satelite reciever & dish bought from Mr. Bricolage for about 70 euros and only thing we changed (because the dish was too big for our house) was to buy a sky mini dish.

[quote]Many thanks for the ideas on Astra28.2. I am located near Redon in Southern Brittany and looking at Astra28.2's footprint on the web even though it has a "Spot-Beam" my area seems to be in it.... Whe...[/quote]

Some of the decoders have the frequencies preprogrammed for BBC etc and some havnt You may either have to do a manual search or put in the frequencies for BBC

Many thanks for all the replies to my problem, I have found the original advert from Casterama - Complete kit 80cm dish by Optex, Reciever by Styx and wait for it...Two LMB's for reception of Astra and HotBird, 95Euros. So the third LMB for Astra28.2 could be correct!!! Also managed to contact friend who bought same package and turns out that he had to call in Engineer from "Connections" in Redon who fitted "some thing to the dish" and now all they get is BBC1 and BBC2 but nothing else??? So I reckon he disconnected the 2 LMB's and just fitted the one for 28.2...Dave Brighton

The systems with dual LNBs are for Astra and Hotbird (19 and 13 degrees east), therefore the two lnbs are offset 6 degrees to each other. I have never heard of (but hey it may be possible) of a system with 3 LNBs that can also get Astra 2D at 28 degrees east. As far as I'm aware you'd need either a motorised system (expensive) or two dishes with a 4 in 1 diseq switch. The two LNB packages usually have a 2 in 1 diseq switch.

Also, although the Astra 2D beam is centred on the UK, all france should be able to receive it with a dish of 60cm width, with the south maybe needing an 80cm dish.

steve

It is impossible with a fixed dish to get Astra 2 and Astra 1 even with 2 LNB,s

You may have to settle for only receiving Astra 2,it makes no difference if you have twin LNB,s just connect one of them up to the decoder.Make sure you have good signal strength and quality on Astra 2.As long as you have a universal LNB they are designed for any sattelite.  

As I said previously some decoder boxes are preset with the frequencies for BBC1 etc some are not Some boxes can run an automatic search (like on a car radio or a TV) and will find all the channels but some boxes you have to tune manually by putting in the individual frequencies for BBC etc

We managed to get BBC1 2 3 and 4 plus a few other channels using a castorama dish and box. But pointed at astra 19.8,(or thereabouts)

It did take about 2 days to set up but at least the children can soak up English again after a hard day at school..

Last but not least, its free.