Internet sites for French property?

I flew a long way to see a christopher Kay property and found that I could not agree with what he termed as being 'immediately habitable' and I fully appreciate that this is down to semantics.

Some internet estate agencies show a wealth of pictures and others don't. I think it is totally reasonable to demand plenty of pictures from any estate agent prior to leaving the UK to view French properties. Any estate agent worth his / her salt will oblige.  

Although I work as the sysadmin for an agence immobiliere (who is with the FNAIM) - this post is not aimed at advertising our site, so bear that in mind!  (We do advertise with LF magazine though.)

I can see that there is a lot of feeling, both positive and negative towards french property websites, and I empathise with both sides, having been there now.  As the sometime webmaster for our site, I can say that it is often hard to be both revealing and concealing.  We do want you to get a lot of information from our site, but also we want to talk to you about your needs.  We also do need to consider confidentiality and be protective of our houses against poaching by other agents, as previously discussed, the market here is so very different to the market in the uk.

If you have a very specific ideal and found every single piece of information from a site you would probably never go and see a house.  It is often true that buyers may find themselves surprised by what they do buy, and how much it differs from their previous ideas.  We are currently offering video portfolios for our vendors, because we hope to encourage buyers to ask more questions, get more enthused and want to come and see these properties.

We are always looking for ways to improve your online experience without blowing our budget, for advertising or bandwidth!  I have only just joined the forums so will try to trawl them for your ideas, but if you feel strongly about something you see on our site, please mail me offline.

kind regards

leigh

[email protected]

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with much of the sentiment here, it is difficult to really know what a property will be like from the short description and limited photos, but that is the same in the UK.  It does depend where you are looking as to the agents you will be able to find on the 'net, we have been searching in the Charente and have found this site useful www.frenchentree-charente.com not just for properties on their database but also with the other information they have.

Unfortunately it stills comes down to legwork in the end and spending time seeing the different properties so you know just what habitable can mean in France!

Sally

I agree with much of the sentiment here, it is difficult to really know what a property will be like from the short description and limited photos, but that is the same in the UK.  It does depend where you are looking as to the agents you will be able to find on the 'net, we have been searching in the Charente and have found this site useful www.frenchentree-charente.com not just for properties on their database but also with the other information they have.

Unfortunately it stills comes down to legwork in the end and spending time seeing the different properties so you know just what habitable can mean in France!

Sally

If anyone is looking in the Dordogne I would recommend Guy Seynet immoblier in Montpon.  They are French but speak good English http://www.agenceseynat-dordogne.com/index_gb.htm. The web sire is cxxp and I have told them that.  But they ahve loads of properties that are not on there and I would say they took the most time to get to the bottom of what we wanted.  the chap Fabrice spent days letting me take the lead over what we want, he listened to all the feed back and gradually built up a picture of what we really wanted.  It anyone does contact then say pauline says hi.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote]As Living France magazine, and thus this forum, depends on advertising income for its existence I don't think it is unreasonable to discourage free advertising. In fact many property advertising sites...[/quote]

It is tough being a " Forum Administrator " I know how difficult it is to judge which should be left for members to view or which should be deleted on the grounds you mentioned.  I thought your remarks detailing the reasons were extremely fair and diplomatic.  It is nice to know that someone out there are keeping an eye on things

Regards Les Favets

We spent many hours searching websites for immobiliers in the Charente. We wanted a house in the Cognac region.  We then went to 'Pages Jaunes' ( Frances yellow pages) typed in 'Immobiliers' and 'Cognac' in the appropriate places and got a list of all the immobiliers in the area and links to their websites. From this we found the house we wanted quite quickly.

If you know which area you want to buy in we can thoroughly recommend this. It takes you directly to the local immobiliers and most of the websites seem to have english pages if you need them.

Cheminot.

We spent a day with the agent from the Montignac (Dordogne (Dept 24)) office of La Foret (http://www.laforet-centre-ouest.com). He speaks very good English and was very helpful. We didn't buy through this agent but could recommend him.

Kathie

(in the process of buying a house in Polignac near Grignols)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last year we used latitudes.co.uk  I spent many a happy hour during the winter browsing their site, then when we were ready they arranged meetings with immobiliers in our chosen area.  Of course the properties we had seen on the site had gone by then but there was always something to look at. They and the immobilier shared the fee so we didn't pay them any extra. 

Incidentally we found that the French agents weren't bothered about selling us anything. If we didn't like the first property, we found it hard work to get anything else out of them.  The Brits on the other hand including those working for a French immobilier tried very hard to find us suitable properties.

[quote user="lbogardis"]

Although I work as the sysadmin for an agence immobiliere (who is with the FNAIM) - this post is not aimed at advertising our site, so bear that in mind!  (We do advertise with LF magazine though.)

leigh

[email protected]

[/quote]

We bought via your agency (before you were employed there, I believe) and found that there were plenty of photos available of the property, inlcluding a lot of very unflattering ones!  In fact, I would go so far as to admit that we considered buying it for about 9 months before we actually viewed it, but the photos kept putting us off!  It was only because we kept passing it and liked the look of it and its position that we eventually booked an appointment to view - and then promptly made an offer on it. 

As regards to researching property on the net, we found Leggett's site by searching on google for 'charente immobilier' and we also found the agent we bought our fishing lakes property through on google by searching for 'lake property immobilier' and are now looking for properties within the vicinity of that by finding French estate agents by searching on 'dordogne immobilier'. 

We find that the French estate agent sites are usually up to date with the properties that they offer (ours were both updated as 'under offer' immediately after our respective offers were accepted and before the compromis de vente was signed).  The main problem with out of date properties for sale is with these sites which gather together a lot of estate agents' data - they don't seem to refresh their data very often.  Having said that, we did find our Charente house (bought via Leggett) on a site with another estate agent - 3 months after we owned it - and it was because the previous owner had mandates with two agents and hadn't let the other agent know that the property was sold!

Dear Josey,

I work for Foreign Currency Exchange, We work with French Property 1st and have exchanged and transferred currency for numerous clients that have bought property through them. To date they have all been very happy. You should deal with Sebastian Jay - feel free to contact me for his details on 0800 783 4313 or 01442 233 040.

Regards

Mike Steenkamp

Senior FX Trader

Foreign Currency Exchange