Re: For all those who intend going back

britgirl

I just whizzed through and got ten right[:D].

I thought this test must be some sort of joke, as most of the questions were pretty irrelevant to being a british citizen.  Then I clicked on the link to buy the books and was amazed to be taken to the tsobookshop site, so I guess the test must be genuine.  If anyone wants to go through and learn such useless info (and on the trial test basis, there must be a lot of tosh in the books), they must be really desperate to live in Britain.

[quote user="Maricopa"]

Then I clicked on the link to buy the books and was amazed to be taken to the tsobookshop site, .......... (and on the trial test basis, there must be a lot of tosh in the books) ....

[/quote]

No the book the facts are all taken from is the standard work of reference produced by the government (used to be by the COI, not sure if it stil is), which is updated annually.  It is intended as a good introduction to the UK, and thus includes many statistics and such which most people really cannot be bothered with, hence the statistical bias of the questions based on it.  As a basic introduction to the geography, history and current status of the UK, it cannot be bettered, BUT,  as you rightly say, these are not the things that determine whether you are a knowledgeable British citizen. 

I have some professional pride in it being a good source of reference, but its relevance to the actual information required is sadly not proven.

I failed, and anyway most of my answers were guesses, so if I took it again I could easily do much better or much worse, and it still wouldn't prove anything.

But in any case the questions are fatuous.  They might be good for a pub quiz, but as a test of suitability for citizenship I think they are utterly useless.