Re: A Bad Friday

Gardian

Appointment this morning at the local Credit Agricole branch. When our son and DIL got married over here 18 mths ago, they opened an account there to deal with the various payments locally. They didn't bother to close it (there was only €30 or so left in there) but finally asked me to fix it for them. Rang the lady who opened the a/c in the first place - "no problem" she said. "Let me have a letter or email from them and I'll transfer the balance to your a/c". Done.

Had a call from her a few days ago - "Sorry, with the mthly charges, the balance is now €-2.58."  "Yes ....." says I, thinking that she'd now say "I'll write that piddly sum off".  Errr non.  "When can you come in to clear it for your son?"

So I did.  And I had a flat tyre when I got back to the car.[:'(]

Got home. Letter from a debt collection agency saying that I owed AOL (and now them) £68. This related to my cancellation of my AOL account a year ago - I had stupidly done this by email, so obviously no proof once the a/c was closed. Rang AOL and eventually got somebody to help, but his best offer was £30 in full and final settlement.  Rolled over - not worth the blood pressure.[:@]

First glass of CdR beckons - surely nothing else can go wrong today?   

[quote user="Gardian"]

Got home. Letter from a debt collection agency saying that I owed AOL (and now them) £68. This related to my cancellation of my AOL account a year ago - I had stupidly done this by email, so obviously no proof once the a/c was closed. [/quote]

If you will dance with the devil [:(]

It's hard to believe they are still on the same con as 15 years ago, best thing as you say don't raise your pulse rate but do make sure you get a letter of satisfaction to hold on file

Hmmm, yes!  To be fair, I did get an immediate email confirmation from the bloke I spoke to - and with his actual name and personal email address, so should be OK. Galling though, since I'd been a 'good customer' for ages and had followed their laid down procedure for cancellation. No proof though, so was on a hiding to nothing.

There was a little 'sting in the tail' to the evening though.

Prior to my bank visit, I did have an appointment with a dermatologist - just a 'place' that looked like a nasty mole on my back, seen by my GP. The rather scruffy bloke that I saw said that it was totally benign and gave it a burn-job with some CO2.  Prescription for some spray antiseptic.

OH saw the prescription later this evening & pointed something out. His diploma covers dermatologie and .............. venereologie[blink] 

Thinking back, I rather thought that the young lady at the pharmacie was a little bit wide-eyed when dispensing!  

[quote user="Gardian"]

Prescription for some spray antiseptic.

OH saw the prescription later this evening & pointed something out. His diploma covers dermatologie and .............. venereologie[blink] 

Thinking back, I rather thought that the young lady at the pharmacie was a little bit wide-eyed when dispensing!  

[/quote]

Not as wide eyed as you would be if you sprayed you know where [:D]

[quote user="Gardian"]

And I had a flat tyre when I got back to the car.[:'(]

[/quote]

Oh well, these things happen, thought I.  Fitted the 'get-you-home' and did just that.  Every intention to leave it till Monday.

This morning though - decided it would be better to get it over & done with. Drove back gingerly (where did that term come from?)  Local biggish town, large tyre / exhaust / brakes etc fitting place.  Closed on a Saturday !! Unbelievable (say it like Meldrew) - the 35hr wk strikes again.

Went on to the only other place in town. Not as 'flash' (in fact a bit of a dive), but at least open. V helpful, tyre (virtually new) knackered, no replacement in stock.  "Not till Tuesday, but we'll put an old one on if you like, that'll last you till next week + it'll be safer". Nice people: nightmare over.

It's France, isn't it?   Full of contrasts.   

gingerly .....very gently and carefully

In its early days in English it was associated specifically with dancing or walking. If you did these things gingerly you took small elegant steps. In 1583 a writer referred to such dancers “tripping like goats, that an egg would not break under their feet”. As you might gather from this, the word was then rather negative in tone, suggesting a mincing or effeminate way of moving.