HMRC Double Taxation Form

Quillan

Having completed my form what happens now? I was thinking of taking it (and the completed French version) to my local Tresor Public to get it signed and stamped then post it myself or do I simply hand it over? How can I be assured that if I hand it over it will arrive back in the UK? I am sure others have used this form and wondered what they did? Do you put a pre-paid envelope with the correct HMRC address on it with the form?

Thanks in advance.

[quote user="Quillan"]Having completed my form what happens now? I was thinking of taking it (and the completed French version) to my local Tresor Public to get it signed and stamped then post it myself or do I simply hand it over? How can I be assured that if I hand it over it will arrive back in the UK?[/quote]

That is what used to happen but no longer, now the Tax Office (I'm not sure about the Trésor Publique) stamps and scribbles on the both the French and the UK copies, give you back the UK copy and you send it the UK yourself.

The old system was abandoned when too many completed forms did not reach their destination, our first form included. All in all it took 2 goes and about 20 months for us to become registered and to receive a refund of taxes overpaid.

Sue

Ok so I will take it down (I take it you mean both copies i.e. French and English?) and get them to sign and stamp it.

One last (honest) question. Part B question 3 "From what date have you paid, or will you pay, tax in France on the income that you include in this claim?" does this mean the date you first ever paid tax in France because I have no idea when the French forms will be sent out for 2015 let alone the day and the month. I thought the wording a bit ambiguous and think it relates to the first time you paid tax in France. I was thinking that if the latter is correct as long as you get the year right and roughly the month the actual day can be any old number?

Q

It is the date when you will be/have been considered as being tax resident in France.   It is not the date when you actually pay anything.  So if you have filled in a tax return for say 2014  for the whole year, then the start date will be 1.1.2014 and not some date in August 2015 when you eventually get the bill from the impots - or not if you are lucky.

My French tax office refused to sign the form until I had actually paid the tax in France.

This is because they can't say in advance that you will pay it, only state afterwards that you have paid it

I then had to reclaim what had been taken at source from the UK tax office, who were incapable of sending the refund in Euros.

I had to find someone with a sterling bank account and have it paid to them

Thanks Andy thats what I was thinking (apart from the 01.01 bit which is obvious when I think about it).

Norman - I was under the ssumption that this is why they (HMRC) give you a French version of the form to complete to hand over with the English version for signing and that the French tax authorities kept that and added the amount to your tax bill automatically or at least know what you have had so if you don't pay they know and come after you.