Selling up and moving to UK

MLD

We visited the Agence today to say we want to sell and move to UK. I'm going to do some studying there and need somewhere to live. We'll be renting first, unless a miracle occurs and we sell before February! What sort of fees will we have to pay? The monsieur told us 'nothing', but I can't believe that.

I hope that someone else who sold a house may be able to help us. Do we pay capital gains tax? Or are we OK in that we're aiming on buying in England?

Thank you, Margaret

The buyer usually pays in France, and when we were selling we negociated a price with the agent immobilier, the reason being that the more the 'agent' gets the less we would get....... well that was my thinking.

If this was your home, then no capital gains.

[quote user="idun"]The buyer usually pays in France, and when we were selling we negociated a price with the agent immobilier, the reason being that the more the 'agent' gets the less we would get....... well that was my thinking.

[/quote]

Not in my part of France; except in the sense that the agent's commission is hidden in the price.

I have bought 5 times and never paid anything to an agent, but the two times I sold through one I paid from the selling price.

The buyer has to pay the Notaire's fee of course.

[quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

Even if it isn't your home, you are liable to pay capital gains tax only if you were fortunate enough to make a profit, after taking into account the costs of its purchase and sale, allowable costs for improvements, plus any reduction allowed in respect of the number of full years you have owned it, after the first 5 years.

Some details are here; [url]http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/finance-taxation/taxation/capital-gains-tax/[/url]