Boris

richard51

A bulldozer is a tracked vehicle with a large blade for contouring the landscape. Check out the lake in front of Bamford's Rocester factory which was done by one of my brothers many years ago.

An excavator is used for digging holes.

https://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Bulldozer/p/sm/1152314903.htm#1152314903

Roadways around the JCB headquarters are being redeveloped again.

A long time ago I had the privileged of talking to J.C.Bamford (he was a bit captive at the time) and his advice to me was never live more than 15 minutes from where you work. OK if you can!

I used to work between the UK, Switzerland, Maghreb, Horn of Africa, East Africa and a couple of Indian Ocean islands. If anyone can sandwich that lot into a fifteen minute commute, chapeau.

Bet Mr Bamford didn't suggest to his HR department that they only recruit from a pool of people who lived within 15 minutes of their offices.

When I was occasionally abroad for work purposes it seemed sensible to me to stay in a hotel close to where I was working.

I do not know how he recruited his staff - he took over a local business from his family and grew it but kept the headquarters around the Rocester area.

An excellent engineer but also a businessman - he retired as a tax exile.

Joe Bamford did not come from nowhere. He may well have been quoting his grandfather. What was impressive is that in his heyday he could tell you the exact price, to the decimal point, of even the smallest screw in his vehicles.

Wooly - I did not say that Bamford's don't manufacture tracked vehicles I said bulldozers.

Richard51 has pointed out that they do make bulldozers in China, so I obviously I should have said in Rocester.

Richard51, in the interest of historical accuracy, JCB was not connected to the original Bamford company. There had been a family dispute which led to Joe setting up on his own. Many years later when JCB was a very successful company he offered to buy the old business and was turned down.

Going back to Boris I would not trust him as prime minister. He is clever, but not clever enough to know when to consider the full ramifications of what he is saying.

IMHumbleO labour were in the doldrums due to the Bliar and new labour being more right wing than many tories

A return to more social values was needed. I believe that many of the Corbyn bashers actually would like labour party policies if they were to look objectively. It is a shame that the massive smearing campaign by tories and left-over Bliars is producing a bias against labour.

NB Kier Starmer would be excellent.