Gee...I only asked!!

Harley

On noticing a couple of companies pop up in our area (advertising on another site) that were in the same line of work as my other half but who failed to mention wether they were registered businesses or not, I asked a question on the site Forum.  It was simply, did they check or ask for siret numbers etc before being paid to advertise said companies as some other sites do, or not.  Guess what, they locked my thread.[:'(]  Guess that answered my question nicely.  Jeepers - I hope this one's not going to get deleted.  I just wanted to say how thrilled I am to have joined that particular club.  Must be getting rebellious in my old age[:-))]

[quote user="Dick Smith"]
I think you should give us a mini-hint about the forum concerned...
[/quote]

It wouldn't have the words Info and Anglo in its title, surely?

Going on from Mrs O's comments (stunned) I've seen a brilliant example of non-French speak on our local AI site - "We are looking to buy a column barge type house". I know you shouldn't laugh, but...

Will said:

It wouldn't have the words Info and Anglo in its title, surely?

Going on from Mrs O's comments (stunned) I've seen a brilliant example of non-French speak on our local AI site - "We are looking to buy a column barge type house". I know you shouldn't laugh, but...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm........................could be.

And I always thought they were boats on stilts............................................How wrong can you be[:-))]

[quote user="Harley"][quote user="catalpa"]

You're lucky it wasn't simply deleted, Harley - it's rare to see a locked thread 'over there'.

[/quote]

Now I'm really proud.....................[:-))]

[/quote]

I got my first ever post there deleted and got banned for it [:-))]  I'm chuffed to little mint balls [:D]

I saw your post on the "other forum" and thought it asked a very good question without being worded in any way which could cause offence to anyone.

I think the problem is, that being run as a franchise operation, the franchisees have invested a considerable sum of their own money in the forum. The only way they have to get their money back is through advertising and, lets face it, we all know how hard it is to make money in France!  It is understandable that the franchisee will take money off anyone who wants to advertise. This is all very well, if only they could be up front about it and maybe issue a disclaimer pointing out that it is the duty of people responding to ads to ascertain the legal status of advertiser.   The problem here is that the forum in question seems to set itself on a moral high ground platform using "legality" as an excuse for censoring other posts within the forum - often with very spurious justification.   It certainly seems that double standards apply.

Apparently I was in breach of their Terms & Conditions - Not sure which one exactly - I was actually asking for a good reason - I wasn't being sarcastic - I haven't been banned from the site yet.  Now, I know you can get into trouble for working on the black and for employing people who are working on the black but can companies who are paid to advertise these businesses get into trouble too?[8-)]

"the forum in question seems to set itself on a moral high ground platform using "legality" as an excuse for censoring other posts within the forum - often with very spurious justification"

A rather strange moral high ground. I had a similar experience to Harley's. I remember posting on there in response to a French property offered for sale to say that by offering a house for sale that was not their own, the advertiser was actually in contravention of French law unless they had a carte professionelle as an agent immobilier. Something that I saw as doing a favour to both the forum and the advertiser. The forum owners thought otherwise - my post was promptly deleted and I got a snotty e-mail about breaching the forum's terms and conditions. As the terms and conditions expressly forbid  anything against the law, I fail to see what was wrong. The advertisement, and my comment, were in the normal non-commercial part of the forum, so it wasn't even a question of protecting advertising income.

I'm not quite sure how they stand regarding the legal situation.  The parent company that owns and maintains the website is a UK Ltd. company and the servers are based in Florida, USA.  Presumably the franchisees, who I assume are based in France, must be registered as a seperate entreprise in France however there is no mention of this on the websites so presumably the "franchise" must be restricted solely to the rights to sell advertising.

If their websites are operated and maintained by a UK company then is it reasonable to assume that UK law would apply?  If so, why are they so worried about complying with every last detail of French law ?   

Cathy - I'll paraphrase what I said earlier.

Rearrange these words to make the name of a web site - Info, Anglo.

If that doesn't mean anything, just put those two words into Google and there you are.

Nick - looking at where Harley lives, it was probably the Normandy version - not that there's much difference between them, just some are better used than others. There are Anglo Info sites for several parts of France, plus other places where there are plenty of expat British. I normally avoid the 'expat' word like the plague, but it does seem to suit those forums very well.

However, in the race for France forums with the most bizarre moderating policies, none of the AI sites come anywhere near another fairly new one called thatsfrance (sic). It has welcomed two people banned from this site, in the case of one it was an unpopular ban as the member received a lot of support from other users, while the other has been banned from here (and other sites) under several different identities. As such, the forum was worth reading, as the two (plus other refugees from here) carried on their banter in a mainly good natured way. Yet the site owners felt it necessary to appoint a moderator and formulate rules. As a result totally uncontentious posts get deleted, seemingly at random, while one of the two people deemed unacceptable by the owners of this site seems to be able to do as they wish. A pity, the site promised much but has been killed by over-moderation and sensible users are deserting even faster than they joined.

Edit - coincidentally, just after posting the above, a little bird suggested to me that one of the exiles from here just may, now, be un-banned.

[quote user="Will "]

Edit - coincidentally, just after posting the above, a little bird suggested to me that one of the exiles from here just may, now, be un-banned.

[/quote]

So all let's hope that it's the right one who's unbanned! The way things are going on these fora, you never know.

[quote user="KathyC"][quote user="Will "]

[/quote]

So all let's hope that it's the right one who's unbanned! The way things are going on these fora, you never know.

[/quote]

See you in the lounge KathyC