Hoddy you have got to be joking!

Chris Head

You scared about a load of chainsaw carvers ripping you a new ars*****? I don't think there's a conflict between a carvers forum and an expats forum!

Only twinkle stood next to me in the firefight, others sort of wanted to go there but didn't dare. I'd back any of you up somwhere else if it meant a bit of fun and getting inside a small brain!

Ok guys, I get a warning, a ban and a lock in the same week, beat that!!!!

Toodley pip, Chris

No, Chris I'm not scared of men with chainsaws.

I think what I've done is reasonable.

James has said that he doesn't want other forums discussed on this forum.

If he decides that this discussion is OK he will unlock it so it shouldn't actually stay locked for long.

I hope everyone is clear that the warning and the ban you had did not come from this forum.

Hoddy

I hide my name because my very violent ex husband tracked me down once. I know some people have a problem with 'anonymous' people, but TU once had all her contact details published on an open forum by someone who disagreed with her.

You know my name Chris. There is only one person I have spoken with privately who doesn't.

I really don't care about it, the names thing. I think I have good reason to be 'anonymous'. Other people may be just suspicious of revealing their name (and over time, personal details) to lots of strangers.

Then again, people can say what they want.

You may say your name is, for instance Dick Smith [:D] but your name might be Ed Ricketts  really.

I go by the posts, not the name.

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Why do you lot hide behind other names? My name is Chris and I don't feel the need to hide.

Chris

[/quote]

I think anonymity is a must for forums. However  I feel that a couple of names would be nice. One for serious discussion and one for saying something flippant (if you know what I mean).

I would never use my real name on a forum - not my full name, anyway. Quite apart from the possibility of other forum members being a little less than totally sane and taking offence at some imagined (or otherwise!) slight, I have had several forum* 'acquaintances' in the past who have really disturbed me with their abilities to track other members to - homes and businesses - via the internet. In one case, nuisance calls to the place of work then started. And these people always start off by seeming perfectly normal...[:-))]

There's also practical stuff such as saying on a forum that you're off on holiday for two weeks. Announcing an empty house to the world always seems a bit risky to me if anonymity isn't guaranteed.

*not from any of the French forums

I can understand why some people are happier being anon. in many instances there are obviously good reasons for it. Personally I am quite happy for people, indeed the world if they are that interested, to know who I am and where I live, certainly in my case it's no secret, I am well known locally and write what could loosely be called articles for the free English magazine in Poitou-Charentes, as well as being an artisan.

I think though, that as there are so many people called Chris (Such a Common name) that I will have to find something else to sign of with, I quite like the "Crispy pea", thanks for that one , any other ideas??

Chris.

[quote user="chris pp"]

I think though, that as there are so many people called Chris (Such a Common name) that I will have to find something else to sign of with, I quite like the "Crispy pea", thanks for that one , any other ideas??

Chris.

[/quote]

Wild Beast[:D], or Beastie Boy?

[quote user="chris pp"]

[/quote]

Glad you liked that, Crispy.  Only problem is, it makes me think of the advert 'If you like cheese, you'll love these - Cheesy Peas'.

Phil (aka Cassis aka Sissac aka Cassius)

I remember when I first used yahoo (at work) and I put my real name on my profile - everyone at work did.  After I'd been using it for years and had left my job, someone sent me a message with my home address on - gleaned from my name and home town. I was ex-directory and didn't realise it was possible to do this at the time - but it taught me the lesson from then on, never to put my real name on a forum or messaging service.  Having said that, anyone who has emailed me and then had a reply would glean it from my email address anyway, so I guess I'm still not as careful as I should be!  Russethouse - don't you get confused using different names?  I have only two names I use on any forum - depending on whether someone else already grabbed 'Debra' - and the same password, otherwise I would never remember and be unable to sign in!!

No - sometimes it takes a moment to think 'who the hell am I here' but I remain logged in on several forums, even though I don't post much, so I don't have to 'think' very often.

I was going to start on my ancestors - some of them have terrific names.....Lepheretta is one - the lady in question hated it and was always known by her second name Amy. She was a 'peculiar' baptist...which I thought meant she was a little odd .......

[quote user="Chris Head"]

Are the Chris's (not sure about punctuation) being confused here?

Chris...I'm the chainsaw one

[/quote]

Crispy Pea is a name I gave to ChrisPP a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, we can't give you any name with acorn connotations on a French forum, apparently.

[img]http://www.normandie-chambres.co.uk/chrisacorn.jpg[/img]

Phil (the bloke)