Two times - or another one for Dick

Russethouse

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Dick Smith"]What REALLY bugs me is people who say di-sect instead of diss-ect. There are two perfectly good words, dissect and bisect, but they are now conflated into one meaningless portmanteau word.

[/quote]

Now you've reminded me of another hate, Dick.

Desiccated (note correct spelling) and decimated mean, respectively, dried out and reduced by one tenth. Neither of them means 'massacred' or anything similar.

[quote user="Will "]Why settle for rubber ones? I'd like to see repeated misuse of language become a hanging offence, or at least the reintroduction of the stocks.[/quote]

"Repeated misuse" seems to lead to a change in language.

As an example, look at the words "assume" and "presume".

NOW,  the Concise Oxford gives "assume" as meaning " to take as being true, for purposes of argument, or action".

It gives "presume" as meaning " to suppose to be undoubtedly true, take for granted".

Very similar?

HOWEVER, a VERY old dictionary that belonged to my grandad, gives the meaning of presume" as to take unto oneself something of which one is not worthy, to be presumptious".

Since Stanley misued "presume" it seems to have entered common usage as meaning JUST what he wanted it to.

Spongebob.

[quote user="Spongebob"]

HOWEVER, a VERY old dictionary that belonged to my grandad, gives the meaning of presume" as to take unto oneself something of which one is not worthy, to be presumptious".

Since Stanley misued "presume" it seems to have entered common usage as meaning JUST what he wanted it to.

[/quote]

Now you're confusing me, Spongebob - I think you mean this is the definition of "assume", don't you?  I have to confess that I use "assume" in both the old and modern senses.  [:)]

Yes, I take the point - I quite agree that language evolves, if it didn't we'd probably all be speaking in Latin (or Norman French). But when there are clear and sensible rules, and words that mean exactly what we want them to, it's my belief that misuse of grammar and words shows ignorance rather than evolution, and as such should not be encouraged. For example I would hate to see 'two times' become the norm rather than the much more elegant and concise 'twice'. There is also the distinction between spoken and written language, where what is acceptable in the former may be less so in the latter, but eventually, possibly due to becoming familiar through written dialogue, it is taken into more formal language. I wonder what Dick has to say on evolution (or not) of language?

One time or two times is American English, once and twice British English, which is probably why the former is becoming more common now.

BTW, one of my French students used one of my most hated cliché 'At the end of the day' during a lesson and I was horrified. He said during international meetings the Dutch and Spanish participants used it a lot. I said it was best avoided and mainly used by the less intelligent British professional footballers/managers/punter. He asked for an alternative, I don't think you need to replace it with anything, it is just a useless phrase. Has anyone got any suggestions? Dick??

Cassis, no, I think the way you write is charming, I think most people post what they would say rather than writing formally on a forum.

SusanaAH - What about 'all things considered' or 'taking everything into account' perhaps that is just as bad? At the end of the day sounds like something in a funeral service (and with some football managers, it is !)[;-)][;-)]

Yes I did see the program about how certain words came into common usage, but more memorable for me was Stephen Fry talking about the English language, to Jonathan Ross I think. Inspirational !

I remember posting about it at the time and would you believe it, Dick missed it !

Cassis, most of the time I'm afraid I write as I speak too..

Cassis, it was a series over about 6 episodes where the public were asked to identify the earliest possible use of certain words, phrases and expressions, and provide factual evidence to support their claims, in order that the OED could be updated. Particularly memorable for providing my advanced ESOL class with the opportunity to learn the meaning and origin of the phrase "something for the weekend" and for me videoing the following week's episode with the intention of using it in a lesson, only to discover that it was dedicated, in large part, to a piece by Germaine Greer on the origins of the "c" word.[:$](about 16th century IIRC!)

RH I remember the Stephen Fry interview on JR. I think SF is brilliant.

>>> ....... There are two perfectly good words, dissect and bisect, but they are now conflated into one meaningless portmanteau word. .....<<<<<

Dick, sorry to correct my language, the correct spelling is porte-manteau (porte from porter : to carry and manteau : a coat)

Touché!

Stephen Fry is on the telly (BBC2) right now. I met him once, in Simpsons of Picadilly, we were both buying shirts (that's when it was a shop, not a tea room). Needless to say, his were rather bigger, and dearer, than mine.

I have just had a totally surreal language experience, having (in England) met a Frenchman who is trying to sell new kitchens to English customers, and whose English is worse than my French (and that's bad, believe me). Once we had established that he was French (though at first I thought he was Spanish - he did come from the SW and had a rather odd accent) and that I lived in Normandy, and that we do rather need a new kitchen in our English maison secondaire, we got on rather well chatting in French about German kitchens in England. That's despite his products being crap, me not liking the way his company does business, and the fact that he would have difficulty selling room heaters to Eskimos. As I am definitely in the minority in that part of West Sussex in speaking any reasonable amount of French, however poorly, I don't reckon much to his chances. Apparently he had been working in Portugal but lost out because his English was not good enough, so he decided to come to England, get a job, so he could become perfect in English. You have to admire him, and also admire the English system that makes this possible. Imagine any English person who came to France talking like the proverbial vache espagnole landing a job like that.

[quote user="Will "]

Imagine any English person who came to France talking like the proverbial vache espagnole landing a job like that.

[/quote]

I wish that most French people would understand yhat as a rule we are more tollerant in UK for people coming there and not knowing the language.

I was in central London a few years ago and a French couple came up to me to ask directions. I sensed that they were French and even though my French was crap I tried to direct them in French. They were very appreciative that I knew any French but I wonder if the even appreciated how much effort I had put into speaking the small amount of French that I had used.

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="Spongebob"]

[/quote]

Now you're confusing me, Spongebob - I think you mean this is the definition of "assume", don't you?  I have to confess that I use "assume" in both the old and modern senses.  [:)]
[/quote]

Nope. Stanley was supposed to have said, "Dr Livingstone, I PRESUME?", (sorry for any miss-spelling of his name).

In those days, according to my grandad's dictionary, he ought to have used "assume", ........unless he WAS being presumptious, and taking on himself something of which he was not worthy. Not, I ASSUME what HE meant, at all[;-)]

Spongebob.

presume
1375, "to take upon oneself, to take liberty," also "to take for granted, presuppose" (1377), from O.Fr. presumer (12c.), from L. præsumere (see presumption). Presumptive is recorded from 1561. The heir presumptive (1628) is "presumed" to be the heir if the heir apparent is unavailable.

assume
1436, "to receive up into heaven" (especially of the Virgin Mary, e.g. Feast of the Assumption, celebrated Aug. 15, attested from 1297), from L. assumere "to take up," from ad- "to, up" + sumere "to take," from sub "under" + emere "to take" (see exempt). Early pp. was assumpt. Meaning "to suppose" is first recorded 1598. In rhetorical usage, assume expresses what the assumer postulates, often as a confessed hypothesis; presume expresses what the presumer really believes.

So it looks like Stanley could have been correct in his usage, in that it predates him by several centuries.  Did you know he was sent on that mission by J. Gordon Bennett?

Not sure if this clarifies matters!

[quote user="Cassis"]
So it looks like Stanley could have been correct in his usage, in that it predates him by several centuries.  Did you know he was sent on that mission by J. Gordon Bennett?

Not sure if this clarifies matters!
[/quote]

Didn't know that.  Did you know that J. Gordon Sinclair starred in Gregory's Girl?

My current pet hate is 'I turned around and said....'