Samsung VHS-DVD Recorder

Dick Smith

I can't remember who it was who recommended this unit to the forum, but thanks! I got one just before Christmas and I've been transferring loads of old French movies on tape onto DVD - and of course, watching most of them at the same time. Only 1 failure in 40+ DVDs burned, which I think is pretty good.

One question of whoever it was - when I have a VHS of more than 2 hours, how do I get the DVD to go into extended play mode? I've read the instructions and they make very little sense.

By the way - I ordered it from Amazon UK and it came from France. Seems strange...

You are most welcome Fluffy/Dick (what does that look like?)  Glad it's working well. Such a relief to get rid of all those tapes, no?

I found the link to the Samsung player, but don't have one of that make so I'm not sure how it works but normally when recording onto DVD there's a scroll-through of dub modes and you select the one you want, but they do vary a bit.  Remind me of the model number and I'll have a decco at the on-line manual and see if it makes more sense to me as I've used these things a bit.

Thank you - I should have remembered.

Yes, nice to get rid of the tapes, but we are in the intermediate stage at the moment of tapes everywhere waiting to be assessed/copied/thrown away. I have also got half the contents of the history department stock cupboard all over my breakfast room.

While we are at it, I seem to have inadvertantly chucked away my copies of La Nuit Americaine and Hugo the Hippo. Neither are available on VHS or DVD at the moment, so if anyone has a copy I would be prepared to offer a fiduciary inducement to effect a change of ownership.

As to your first question, modesty quite properly draws a veil...

edit - you edited that while I was replying! It's a Samsung DVD-VR330/XEU.

I tried that with 2 different VHS players. One of them survived being thrown at the wall, the other didn't.

It works (my friend Glen tells me) but I didn't manage to get it to, so I bought the unit. You can also get a doofer from The Guardian which lets you play your tapes onto your computer, from where you can rip DVDs - costs less than £90, but opinions vary as to whether it works with Mac/Linux. Also available from Amazon.

I think the issue is whether or not your DVD recorder is easily accessible, as there is a lot of fiddling about with leads, especially if you have a Sky/cable box as well. And our DVD recorder is a Sony which has a silly amount of possible input modes...

Sorry - should have said that I have 2 DVD recorders - only one is VHS-DVD, the other is DVD-HD.

I have recently bought a Phillips DVD-HD recorder and agree with Dick, it is great for transferring the old VHS tapes. One thing I have found too is that I can pause 'live' TV using the remote, I haven't read it comletely but the HD uses a small part to store the program that has been paused so that when you press play again the program starts from where it left off and it is possible to fast forward to actually catch up with the 'live' broadcast, someone has told me that it is pretty much the same as the Sky + box. It is also possible to watch a DVD while recording a TV program via the sattelite to the HD at the same time. Hoorah for technology...

best regards

Zak