Happy Pi Day

Pierre ZFP

I LOVE chicken and mushroom pie.  My favourite after steak and kidney, shortly followed by corned beef and potato pie, then ham and egg pie.  Then beef and mushroom pie.  Then a long line of quiches.  But not all in one sitting.

We had a pie the other day which was a speciality of  a region in l'Indre, it was meat, tasted like sausage mixed with mince and hard boiled egg. Very nice it was too. For some reason my friends here thought that I would be tasting something very unusual and very special. They thought it very funny that we found it tres brittanique.

I love pies. I made some chicken and mushroom pies for a do we were going to and one of the bloke was wandering round telling everyone that the torte I had made was riz de veau and excellent. Sometimes I wonder about people. Who would make a pie with riz de veau?

I made a steak pie recently. The steak just melted in the mouth, as did the mushrooms, onion and garlic. And the hint of red wine just completed the experience.

My wife said the pie was great. My son said he loved it too, but suggested that the next time I make it, I ought to do it without the crust!

Cook! If there was one...

Assembler of pre-ruined ingredients, more like.

Flogging would be too good for them. Seriously, the food is a disgrace, and it's no wonder that so many British kids grow up knowing nothing about good food or how to eat it. All down to cost and which company kicks back best.

Sounds no worse than my son's collège cantine!  AND it costs over 3 euros a day!  [:)]

Anyway, the young lady with whom I share a house here in Englandshire, she spent a year in a school in France because her dad went over there to work for a year.   She said she couldn't eat chips/fries for many years after that, because the choice of accompaniment at school dinner was always fries or squashy ratatouille.   So she had fries almost every day for a year, because the ratatouille was like slimy innards.

Quite funny really, what a "taste of France" can do to people.   She has not the slightest desire to go back there!