Cows the cause of Global Warming?

Quillan

Well unless I read it myself I would not have believed it but apparently methane, as emitted by both the front and rear end of cattle and sheep is 20 times more damaging than the CO2 given of by 4X4's. The university of Wales has received a £750,000 grant over three years to investigate this phenomenon further and to come up with some ideas to cut down on the emissions from said animals (government officals are said to be very concerned about this problem). For your pleasure and comment you can read more about it by using the following link.:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article2051364.ece

The same article was also on page 18 of the tabloid version (The Times) yesterday.

I was wondering after reading the article if universities have an anal 'thing' given that I seem to remember last year that some university won an award for discovering that cod (fish) communicate by farting and had also received a grant to investigate further.

Anyway next time somebody has a dig at you driving your 4X4 you can tell them that it's environmentally cleaner than having a cow.

I have to say that after a good meal with our wonderful French next-door neighbours, if the evening is warm and light, we play Boules...

There is nobody on this planet, man or beast, who does more damage to the ozone layer than the four of us.

It is like the 1812 overture played on whoopee cushions!

Gas

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Depends on the cow of course. A Charrolais farts more than a Fresian, a cow on lowland pasture more than on upland,and if there is a bull in the herd then they all fart much less.  And then there is the winter and summer conundrum.

How about a 4x4 driven by a cow. You don't believe me. OK, I'll pm the desperate.

[/quote]

Well I wondered about that. My theory is that by bottling the gas from cows and then using it to run a 4X4 you would be reducing the greenhouse effect by 90% (the 4X4 will but out 10% of the harmful CO2 when it burns the methane). You get cheap fuel for your 4X4 as it's an indirect byproduct of milk, people get to keep their 4X4's, the government gets more road fund tax from 4X4's and the greens will be happy because we have reduced the harmful greenhouse gas's by 90%. In fact driving a 4X4 should be made compulsory to burn up all this gas quickly thus saving the planet. So in theory it's happy days all round with everyone a winner.

There you go problem solved, can I have my £750,000 please [:D] .

I think they are saying it is the burping that is causing the problem not the other end. [:)]

In any case, I believe they are looking at alternative feeds and even adding garlic to the diet. According to this, scientists are saying that burping cows are harming the environment more than 4x4 cars.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20070710/tuk-burping-cows-harming-environment-dba1618.html