Happiness is...................

mint

[quote user="woolybanana"]Happiness is ... simply being touched.[/quote]

Wooly dear [:D] I do know how you feel [:'(]... Truly... my heart does. [:D]

As that Welsh song says :  'We'll keep a welcome in the hillside.... And with a love that never fails,We'll kiss away each hour of hiraeth
When you come home again to Wales'

Today happiness for me was to find an old school friend whom I had lost all contact with for the last 30 years [:$] only to find out that she was once married to John Burton-Race... Many years ago, I worked (for a very, very short while) at Raymond Blanc's tiny restaurant called 'Les Quatres Saisons' then situated on Banbury Road in Oxford, when he first started out on his own. From little acorn certainly mighty oak grew...

Ooooh I am such a name dropper... [:D] 

Pretty dammed cold and windy down here & been incarcerated for a couple of days, so a need to get out for a few hours this morning.

It's 'Primeur' in these parts, which is basically an excuse for the vignerons to put on a bit of a party over the weekend & flog a bit of wine.

Drove 10kms to the biggest 'bash', where we were staggered to find 300-400 people at the Co-op, marquee, tasting (of course!) and loads of artisans selling some quite worthwhile Christmas present bits & bobs.

The pleasure was seeing a group of youngsters getting tucked in to plates of Bouzigues oysters (€6 / 12) + charcuterie + cheese + baguettes on upturned wine barrels as tables.  No rowdyism or fuss - if there had been, someone would doubtless have been given a very non-pc clip round the ear!! 

Gardian

I have a feeling I love the same bits of French life as you do.  The informality, the ability to enjoy yourself without it bearing any relationship to the amount of money you spend and, of course, the children and teenagers who appear so much better behaved than ours.

We have stayed in small hotels where a parent might be helping a small child do their homework whilst also looking after the reception desk.  At another place, when the mayor and a visiting minor Belgian "prince" were dining next to our table, a young (13 - 14 yrs old) teenager was brought in by the proud parent/proprietor to be introduced to these dignitaries.  Both men stood up (with some difficulty as they were both fat), kissed the young girl on both cheeks and she was able to conduct a short and sensible conversation with the men.  We thought that was utterly charming: the pretty blushing young girl, the 2 formally-attired diners, the beaming parent. 

We have been lost in the car in tiny, remote villages where groups of youngsters would come up (no suspicion of strangers) and explain where the restaurant/hotel/main road could be found.

There will be those on the forum who will be telling me what a rose-coloured spectacle wearing fool I am and that France isn't really like THAT.  But you and I, Gardian, know exactly what we see with our own eyes and experience on a daily basis, don't we?