Cant pay your rent..Mum needs the money !

Frederick

This is got to be the best excuse for none payment of rent I have ever heard... A friend rents out  UK house to family from East European Country.....Dad has good job ...agents references etc ...moves in  sends  for wife and children...  He works pays his taxes payes his rent.....after a few months he decides to go home and leaves wife and kids in the house ...Wife claims  benefits for herself and kids as has no support now ...this  including benefit to cover rent ....rent does not get paid  when asked why she states "I have to send money home to my mother " Council has told her to ignor the eviction notice friend gave her and to sit tight until a court orders her to quit the property....This will not be done friend advised before February .it is expected she will then get on a plane home .....as for the arrears ....forget them...and the taxes dads paid ...she has had them all back and some ......good  move is it not  !

Your friend will be lucky to get his house back by February. She cannot be moved out without a county court order, and if she has children she can ask the court to delay the order until she is re-housed. This can go on for months. When your friend gets the order, he then has to get bailiffs to evict her - he cannot do it himself, and he may have to wait in line until the bailiffs are ready. She will get help and advice from all quarters, your friend will have to foot all his own bills. The law is heavily weighted in favour of the tenant. I've been there! My advice to your friend is to apply to the county court immediately for the eviction order.

[quote user="Colonel Mustard"]

Your friend will be lucky to get his house back by February. She cannot be moved out without a county court order, and if she has children she can ask the court to delay the order until she is re-housed. This can go on for months. When your friend gets the order, he then has to get bailiffs to evict her - he cannot do it himself, and he may have to wait in line until the bailiffs are ready. She will get help and advice from all quarters, your friend will have to foot all his own bills. The law is heavily weighted in favour of the tenant. I've been there! My advice to your friend is to apply to the county court immediately for the eviction order.

[/quote]

Alternatively, you go down the local pub and round up a few of the lads.

Much quicker, just don't get recognised.

and before the bleedin' hearts come out of the woodwork, what do you think they would do to you if the roles were reversed.

of course, I might be joking..............[:@]

We always go through a very rigorous vetting process of any potential tenants, which includes checking back on job history and previous job history, as well as going over bank statements with a magnifying glass. Previous landlord's references are essential.

I also never let to young women who are unmarried and have small babies! Far often partner does a runner and then it would prove almost impossible to gain possession.

If you are an absentee landlord, always take out rent protection insurance!

My brother in law who likes to think he's so smart (works in the City) thought he was being clever taking tenants from a website...........

Young couple, unmarried young baby. He was just starting a new job: there for three days and vanished!

She decamped: he stayed. No rent and the place wrecked.

Smart!

Hang on a mo!

The tenancy agreement is between father and landlord.  Therefore, if he leaves she is a squatter.  If she harps on about rights, get the boys from the pub to move in too!

A friend had all this a few times in one of her properties and, only in the one which is quite strange.  The first time, she went down the legal route which took months.  The other two times she rounded up the boys which took less than a week.

Unfortunately, JK, even if the woman has no tenancy agreement herself, you need a court order to evict her: and with a young baby, no judge will put them on the streets.

The concept of the strong arm approach is of course always tempting; however that is of course Rachmanism and a very serious criminal offence.

And yes, my earlier post was both confusing and simultaneously amusing. Serves me right for trying to do do too much - again! 

Still, we live in rather bizarre times in terms of human relationships, so who knows?