Another Loss

Quillan

As some of you will know Edmund Hillary has died. I can remember at school watching a 16mm National Geographical film in our geography lesson about him climbing Everest with Sherba Tenzing (Norgay). After his epic climb he became very involved with the people of Nepal and started a trust which went on to build hospitals and schools for the people there. Another great one gone.

I am glad somebody mentioned this. I am in New Zealand at the moment and it is such a special feeling being in the middle of what is national mourning for a man who was probably the best known Kiwi. I took my grandson to Parliament today where a Book of Condolence has been opened, the boy, aged eleven, is an authority on Sir Ed, as are most Kiwis, he wrote in the book "It has been a privilege to have lived alongside you, you are an inspiration to many of us"

Many hours of media coverage have been used to relive the highlights of this great man's life but for me it is all crystallised into one word. Humble !

On of the few pleasent things I remember from my early schooling was the story of the Everest Ascent (shouldn't we call it Mt Chomolungma now?), quite inspirational.  Looking back, the odd thing is that it was implied (implicitly or explicitly I don't remember) that Sir Ed was British, it was not until many years later did I know he was Kiwi.  The other thing is that to my shame, for years I thought Tenzing Norgay's first name was 'Sherpa' as he was always referred to as 'Sherpa Tenzing'.  Somehow a bit demeaning of another great man who is no longer with us.

Pierre, I thought that Hilary had taken a very unreliable old British van up the mountain with him and always thought it was a miracle he got to the top given that anything British and vehicular that was made in Britain at that time was not designed to run for more than an hour a year.[6]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]On of the few pleasent things I remember from my early schooling was the story of the Everest Ascent (shouldn't we call it Mt Chomolungma now?), quite inspirational.  Looking back, the odd thing is that it was implied (implicitly or explicitly I don't remember) that Sir Ed was British, it was not until many years later did I know he was Kiwi.  The other thing is that to my shame, for years I thought Tenzing Norgay's first name was 'Sherpa' as he was always referred to as 'Sherpa Tenzing'.  Somehow a bit demeaning of another great man who is no longer with us.[/quote]

But wasn't that in the days when the map had pink bits on it and we celebrated Commonwealth Day ?

On the other hand, how brilliant for the Sherpas, without him being known universally as Sherpa Tenzing, who would know who the Sherpas actually were. I bet his fellow Sherpas have been more than happy over the years to share the mans name [:)]

My mother said that it was amazing that he managed the climb to coincide with the coronation (it was the coronation, wasn't it?). 

You know, most of us have only lived during one reign.  My grandmother (born 1897) lived through Victoria, Edward VII, George V, Edward VIII, George VI and Elizabeth II.  Have I missed any out?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Empire Day please RH[6] Well we did celebrate it where I was for a while at least.[/quote]

Emperor Day we used to call it, after one boy asked a teacher what the Emperors name was that we were marching around the playground for.