What an Olympic farce!

TWINKLE

The politicos and sycophants who "organise" the Olympics have zero regard for the consequences of their actions.

For instance, Weymouth has been commandeered for the 2012 sailing events and a couple of friends of mine who have been running 2 popular and successful cafes there for a many many years, one is on the end of the pier, now face ruin as the leases for their premises are not being renewed because the sites are being developed. No compensation is being offered of course.

After it's all over the area will likely turn into a ghost town and nobody will give a s0d.

What exactly did Lord Coe do to earn his peerage?  I seem to remember at the time a handful of fantastic runners?  One of whom now reports for the BBC and the others seemingly have dropped into political oblivion. As far as I am aware non of the others were either knighted or given peerages.

I have the same sort of problem with people like Lord Kinnock (and here my forefathers were amongst the original founders of the Labour party) and wonder indeed why he was elevated?  Still another argument for another time.

I wonder what views people hold as to the English World Cup team being awarded gongs as well as the successful Ashes winners.  After what followed in Australia cricket wise I am not sure if they had to give the gongs back?

[quote user="ErnieY"]I think he could run a little bit couldn't he, a reasonably useful skill for a politico to possess I suppose [:D]
[/quote]

IIRC he won the egg and spoon, or something similar, in 1980 when no-one else turned up.

I blame H Wilson for starting this "gongs for celebs" by giving Empire medals (what Empire that, Ed ?) to the members of a popular beat combo .

All the members of our little hamlet cheered when Paris lost to London - our view being that the South would pay for the North to benefit - it being the other way round in England of course.

John

• 2 weeks later...