What a dirty trick !

Frederick

My cousins daughter had the fuel stolen out of her car over the weekend when parked up overnight near Southampton . Bad enough taking her petrol but to do it they  drilled holes in the tank then after draining the fuel blocked them up with blue tack  ...so she had a new tank to pay out for as well ... A locking petrol cap is no good now it seems...what have you got to do to keep the fuel in your car these days ?

It's becoming a very common occurrence unfortunately and hard to see what you can do to protect against it other than garage the car or park it somewhere very conspicuous.

It's near impossible to syphon from many cars these days plus it's so blatant whereas they can surrupticiously put a catch tray under a car, drill a couple of holes, and retire to a safe distance until the job is done then recover it when the coast is clear.

Why on earth they bothered with the blue tack is bizarre though, perhaps there is a new breed of environmentally friendly scrotes on the block with no qualms about nicking the stuff but not wanting to pollute the ground with what they didn't take.

[quote user="ErnieY"]

Why on earth they bothered with the blue tack is bizarre though, perhaps there is a new breed of environmentally friendly scotes on the block with no qualms about nicking the stuff but not wanting to pollute the ground with what they didn't take.

[/quote]

They probably figured that syphoning would be assumed and they could come back next night and drain the re-filled tank again. Pollution isn't generally in the mind set of that sort of cretin.

Interesting theory Steve but I'm pretty certain that Blu Tack is not petrol resistant. I've got some but no petrol to test with however it does say on the pack that any oily marks left by it can be removed with lighter fuel so that's a big clue. That said, scum bags probably can't read anyway so wouldn't know [:P]

Most cars now have locking flaps or caps or both so syphoning is not a practical proposition, plus it's blatant and highly visible. Draining on the other hand is very discrete so has become the method of choice.

I think it's called called evouloution [blink]

You and I know that blu-tack is a waste of time where fuel is concerned but your average scrote is pretty thick. Other than my theory as to why use it I cant think of any other reason. Thieving scumbags can be devious cretins albeit not the the brightest lamps in the chandelier.

Well guys....... the blue tack worked long enough for the poor girl not to smell the petrol when she went to get in her car.... then drove into the New Forrest on her way home only to run out of petrol  which  made the situation more distressing for her ......You may say she should have checked her fuel guage but having filled up she knew she had plenty of fuel and she didnt ........but thats new drivers  for you ......she has had an expensive lesson ...I bet she checks it now .... It is probably some young person with an old banger that they cant afford to run now thats doing this.... and with the price of fuel today no doubt their numbers will continue to grow ....part of life in the UK today !