Flash Gordon

ali-cat

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, Dick, slagging off Gordon Brown seems very important to a lot of users of the British-in-France forums. It's noticeable that it's all negative stuff - they don't contribute sensible suggestions about how they would overcome the various problems.

Its really funny how you two come out of the woodwork with this 'superior' looking down on mere mortals attitude. People fortunately, still have and are able to voice an opinion, even if its not the same as yours.

Maybe he didn't sell off half of britains gold reserves afterall, perhaps someone made it up.

Why is it 'funny' that we 'come out of the woodwork' with an opinion, but you are making a noble public service announcement? Why do you insult other so freely? What gives you the right to assume that no other person can have a different opinion from your golden ones?

If you hated Britain so much that you abandoned it, why do you post so many negative comments about it now? You're out of it - no responsibilities or obligations.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]Why is it 'funny' that we 'come out of the woodwork' with an opinion, but you are making a noble public service announcement? Why do you insult other so freely? What gives you the right to assume that no other person can have a different opinion from your golden ones?

If you hated Britain so much that you abandoned it, why do you post so many negative comments about it now? You're out of it - no responsibilities or obligations.

[/quote]

I expressed no more than my opinion Dick, but I have to say that its you that always comes out with the holier than though stuff. Your  comments were not positive either, but just silly attacks on people expressing different views to yourself. Rather pointless really, but I'm sure that they make you feel good

I haven't abandoned the UK, I'm still proud to be English, I've just chosen to life elsewhere, and that doesn't stop me, or others, having or expressing an opinion, as we see fit.

Funny that it wasn't so long ago the you were moaning about your pension on this very forum. Perhaps that was, as it was you, a noble rather than negative cause.

UK Government borrowing could be up to One Trillion £1,000,000,000,000 by next year. (negative)

UK Government borrowing is likely to be as little as One Trillion £1,000,000,000,000 by next year. (positive)

And they wonder why education is failing.......................................[:)]

BB - this doesn't really apply to you most of the time - but like some others I am really tired of all the posts which simply make fun of government - whatever flavour, as though that is some sort of informed political debate.

If all we do is make cynical 'smart' comments about any attempt to govern the country, where do we end up? How does anyone ever have any motivation to try hard if all they get is petty and childish insults? How does a government succeed if confidence is constantly eroded? Is it any wonder that young people are disinterested and votin g numbers are falling?

Nick Ross (not a man I have a lot of respect for anyway) made GB's 'Freudian Slip' the main item of political news on the BBC this evening, and even illustrated this character fault of politicians with clips of Thatcher and Blair doing something similar. Nothing positive, just mocking. In my opinion that is wrong, and destroys democracy if allowed to go on long enough.

I never liked Mrs T, but I was happy to accept that she had been democratically elected and had the right to govern the country as she chose. So now does Gordon Brown. When the next election comes the electorate can let him know if he did well enough or not. But simply standing on the sidelines making rather foolish comments (like Nick Ross) doesn't help anyone in any way.

A reasoned argument (and not the nonsense by the German politician who may just have an agenda of his own, don'tcha think?) would be a good idea.

In fact, I agree that the past two governments have a major case to answer inasmuch as they failed to control financial institutions effectively. I just object to being one of the poor s*ds who has literally paid for their negligence. I just want them to sort it with as little pain as possible.

[quote user="Dick Smith"]BB - this doesn't really apply to you most of the time - but like some others I am really tired of all the posts which simply make fun of government - whatever flavour, as though that is some sort of informed political debate.

[/quote]

Pas probleme, mon ami.......................

Today, as they say, is another day, the roads will be dryish and it looks like the Sun is going to be out, so while I can still afford the fuel [:)], I'm going out on my bike.

Gary.

Watch out on the bike, it's dangerous out there.

1. It seems that some of the forum users live in Britain and have holiday homes in France, thus their view of France is rather dream-tinged. Nothing wrong in that.

2. Others have abandoned Britain and live in France - that's their decision. Unfortunately many of them get their view of current Britain from the moaning and whingeing sections of the British media - and many seem to take pleasure in repeating these mostly exaggerated stories, possibly as justification for moving overseas? Yes, I know this is a hallmark of the many expat communities in places other than France.

3. A few of us live, and work, in both countries. With feet firmly in both cultures and relying on both economies for our living I think that gives us a view of our own. The two places are different, but there are many similarities. It seems to perplex many people that we find it possible to like both places, and don't feel it necessary to come out with negatives about either, and that it is possible to like being in France but still love, and want to defend the reputation of, the country of our birth. Though we do of course recognise that neither place is perfect.

Nothing is that clear-cut of course, plenty of people don't fit into those handy pigeon holes, but I hope it's clear what I mean. Pro-British views, and an irritation with the constant knocking of British politicians and institutions, may not be fashionable here but they are still valid, and sincerely held. I suspect the French nationals who use this forum might understand me rather better than the British expats. National pride and patriotism (which is definitely not the same as nationalism and jingoism) is fit and well among the French but is, sadly, lacking in the English. And I intentionally omit the Scots, Welsh and Northern Irish from that sentence.

Sorry to get philosophical, and please note that I am not getting at anybody in particular. Just saying where I personally come from when 'emerging from the woodwork'. I'll get back in my knot hole now and get on with my work.

Just a little joke Dick!

I find it helps to retain a sense of humour in difficult times and with the scrapping of the 10% tax rate;  Sterling heading for parity with the Euro and our remaining savings being eroded its hard to find much to laugh about.

As for poking fun at politicians I'm afraid I'm not one bit convinced that they are called to public service for the greater good.  Perhaps more people would be inclined to vote if they didn't perceive their elected politicians as being more interested in feathering their own nests and securing their 'legacy'.

GB set himself up for ridicule by etc blaming all the current woes on the sub-prime crisis;  stating that the UK is better placed to weather this recession and then trying to claim that the whole world is following his lead. 

A little more humility and les hubris from Gordon would be appreciated.  

Mr Cat

I'll just add that I regularly read Private Eye and watch Have I Got News for You (not to mention sometimes reading Canard Enchainé in France) so enjoy laughing at politics and politicians as much as anybody, as long as it's actually done with humour and is not just a 'look what that idiot's doing to us' type of rant. GB's recent freudian slip was amusing but the way that much of media treated it took away the schadenfreude of the whole thing. At the same time, I think there is some very amusing stuff published in France, particularly about the Sarko-Bruni relationship, something else which is just asking to have the p*** taken.

[quote user="ali-cat"]

Just a little joke Dick!

I find it helps to retain a sense of humour in difficult times and with the scrapping of the 10% tax rate;  Sterling heading for parity with the Euro and our remaining savings being eroded its hard to find much to laugh about.

As for poking fun at politicians I'm afraid I'm not one bit convinced that they are called to public service for the greater good.  Perhaps more people would be inclined to vote if they didn't perceive their elected politicians as being more interested in feathering their own nests and securing their 'legacy'.

GB set himself up for ridicule by etc blaming all the current woes on the sub-prime crisis;  stating that the UK is better placed to weather this recession and then trying to claim that the whole world is following his lead. 

Mr Cat

[/quote]

See all previous comments on the corrosive effects of unrestrained (and largely unjustified) simplistic cynicism as an alternative to actually doing some thinking.

Also see comments about shouting in from outside the tent.

A bit more humility and less hubris from ex pats would be nice, too, but that's a case of beams and motes, isn't it?

It's not really up to me to explain why Michael (sic) Martin maintains his office, other than the obvious fact that no-one has yet tabled a motion of no confidence in him. He hasn't been a particularly authoritative Speaker, his handling of Ms Pay's bungle was unimpressive and I don't think he brings much lustre to the office. I don't think I'm very different from most people in that respect. I don't think he should stand again, and if he does he shouldn't be endorsed.

When he was making his very weak statement to the House I was put in mind of the answer Speaker Lenthall made when Charles I demanded that he identify the Five Members:

"May

it please your Majesty, I have neither eyes to see, nor tongue to speak

in this place, but as this House is pleased to direct me, whose servant

I am."

RH wrote "Perhaps Dick can explain while Micheal Martin remains in office ?"

Perhaps RH its because MPs rather than the media have no problem with him?

Over the weekend the BBC kept putting out that MPs had "lost confidence" in the speaker, and later quantified it to 32 MPs (out of 646) who had been asked anonymously if they still had confidence in the Speaker.  They actually asked just over 100 MPs (out of 646) by phone and 58 said he still had their confidence[:-))], not such a good story though is it?

I wonder what would have been the situation if the search had found that this MP had say connections with a terrorist movement and had highly sensitive information leaked from the Home Office?  In that case the Speaker and his assistant, who has been in the past ex-police or security services,  would have been praised by the media from the rooftops.  Seems like the usual trial by political corespondent is usual in the UK media  and a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="ali-cat"]

Just a little joke Dick!

Mr Cat

[/quote]

See all previous comments on the corrosive effects of unrestrained (and largely unjustified) simplistic cynicism as an alternative to actually doing some thinking.

Also see comments about shouting in from outside the tent.

A bit more humility and less hubris from ex pats would be nice, too, but that's a case of beams and motes, isn't it?
[/quote]

"simplistic cynicsm as an alternative to actually doing some thinking".  Like the reduction in VAT?  Or what about "moose head " Palin.  It seems that any knee jerk invective is OK as long as its aimed at right of centre politicians?  Actually I think Gordon's Freudian slip said volumes more about the man that any number of weighty analyses.

As for those who 'abandoned' the UK and are "shouting from outside the tent" we all have different reasons for moving to France. To suggest that we were all negatively motivated by some dislike of our home country and that we are akin to deserters is pretty crass don't you think?  Plus those of us who have family and economic ties (including paying UK income tax) and may at some stage wish to return there are very much still inside the tent.

Don't know what on earth you mean by last comment.

Cheers

Mr Cat

By having a foot in each country and also being salary earners, in my opinion Dick and Will are not best placed to understand the anger and frustration that retired people who've saved and provided for their old age are feeling at the mismanagement on an unprecedented scale of the Worlds' financial systems.

Add to that watching the £ disappearing down the plughole when one is trying to manage on a fixed UK income is just about the final straw for some.

I believe in economic cycles and have been happy to sit back in previous downturns until the cycle runs it's course but the older one gets the less time there is for the cycle to come around again.

I don't feel it's a case of simply having a go at politicians, more of people in particular situations simply venting their anger.

But that's only my opinion.  [:D]

I don't disagree with that Benjamin, it comes across as a reasoned viewpoint based on your personal circumstances and experiences, to which I would never have any objection.

It is (or at least appears) all too apparent that the majority of people who live in France and use this forum are retired, while most of those who are not earn their crusts in France. So I hope those in other situations can sometimes be listened to. However, talking about this and similar forums in general, there does seem to be an inordinate amount of spleen that is vented at the British government. Whatever some might say, and indeed whatever Gordon Brown may have let slip the other day about his own influence on world affairs, GB could never be blamed for the US sub-prime crisis that kick-started the present situation. Neither did he have anything to do with the CMU crisis that occupied so much forum space at this time last year - that was down to Nicolas Sarkozy's policies - but you would never have thought so. I have no axe to grind for Gordon Brown, and don't particularly like the man or his style of governance, though he was a very successful chancellor for a long period, but let's deal with facts rather than polemic.

As for Dick, I believe he has now joined the ranks of those depending on British public service pensions...

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Suffice to say if I was his Sargeant at Arms I know what I would do with that mace [6]

No one who passes the buck to a 'junior' in that fashion, enhances their own reputation IMHO.

[/quote]

That was the part which persuaded me. I've done enough standing on the carpet taking a kicking for a member of my team in my time to wince at that one.