price of supermarket foods

woody234

Sweets,

Almost forgot - fish in France is amazing, at least 30 foot counter at our nearest Auchan.  We were amazed the first time we saw it - especially the ice 'walls'.   And a good choice of fresh fish & shell fish, and much cheaper than the UK.   Fresh salmon recently we paid  euro 7.50 per kilo - amazing !    One euro for a trout !   We now freeze it and pack in an ice bag and bring it back to the UK.

Our local (superstore) Tesco has about 10ft of fish counter and fresh salmon usually over £14 per kilo.   

OH/husband really keen on fish so it's a real treat to shop there.

Regards

Tegwini

You're right about the fish being cheaper and generally fresher, Tegs.

As for the shellfish, I'm not that adventurous with them.  Some of the strange looking things with starey eyes and wicked looking claws are too much of a challenge for my culinary skills.

The raw prawns, however, (whether fresh or frozen) are generally excellent and affordable.

"As for the shellfish, I'm not that adventurous with them.  Some of the strange looking things with starey eyes and wicked looking claws are too much of a challenge for my culinary skills ".  Quote Sweet 17

Me too Sweets,

I also find them a bit scary & let/allow(!)  husband the opportunity of cooking them himself.   Even he doesn't like the eyes staring up at him from his plate.

I find the prawns quite vengeful and got spiked recently squashing them into the freezer. 

Regards

Tegwini  

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Yes, it's the choice I miss.

I always felt that if I wanted to, say, cook an Indian or an Italian meal, I could just pop into Tesco's and get all the ingredients but here, I fear that our local Intermarche just doesn't cut it.

[/quote]Whilst I know what you mean, I'm not sure it's a fair comparison, Sweets.  Our local InterMarche isn't much cop in the variety department either.  But it serves a village which has just over 2000 inhabitants.   I can't imagine Tescos bothering with a place of that size in the UK.  Bearing that in mind, it doesn't seem too bad to me.

I can't get the idea of Tegwini's vengeful prawn out of my head.[:D][:-))]

Steve, you're right about pre-cooked prawns.  You might find raw frozen prawns in freezer cabinets.  If there is an oriental shop/supermarket you, you're more likely to find them there and at a good price. 

If you want a laugh, look at my thread on won ton soup which will alert you to be careful whilst shopping at oriental places.

Coops, I know what you mean, you could be just glad of a supermarket but I still sigh for Tesco.  Look after yourself and, when you're able to stand long enough to cook, I recommend raw prawns marinated in lemon juice and flash fried in olive oil spiced with ginger and garlic.

Takes only a coupla minutes to fry so you should be able to manage to stand for that length of time?

Keep improving!!!!!!!!!!!1[:D][kiss] 

[quote user="woolybanana"]PD, Can you still get those huge Gulf prawns we used to so adore in Kuwait? Half a dozen made a meal. used to buy them straight off the botas. The stuff you see in the supermarkets here could not even find a buyer.[/quote]

Certainly can, the ones in Europe just don't compare. We get them fresh in the supermarkets now. It beats an early morning visit to the fish market and the hassle of cleaning / de-veining them, although the supermarket cleaning (after you have bought them) sometimes leaves a bit to be desired.

Butterflyed garlic prawns......my mouth is watering now !