What parts could we sell off....

Weedon

Not content with the constant shelling of the doom and gloom about falling house prices and sterling failing, for the past 6 months, the BBC has now moved on to The UK is officially in recession!  There is now talk of the country going bankrupt.

Now the country must be rich in assets, so what could be flogged off to rake in some working capital?

Anybody mind if we sold the Isle of Man, Isle of Wight and Lincolnshire?  I drove through Skeggy a couple of years back so wouldn't mind if it belonged to somebody else.  Looking on the tourist map I see that some call it Skegvegas[:-))]

I would be willing to consider selling off something else if you prefer.  Perhaps Norfolk?  They could do with a bit of new blood, couldn't they?

Wooly. That should create a few replies. I have always thought that the only reason the Crown kept hanging on to it was because half the Georgian Aristo's owned anything profitablewhilst keeping the population in poverty. Still want to retain their bits of land etc but at what cost to the Treasury and inhabitants. I'm waiting to see how the Duke of Westminster deals with his Squatters?

Regards.

[quote user="Gastines"]

First thing to dismantle and sell off thousands of assets of The National Trust

[/quote]

You have no idea how much I agree with you there G.  A bunch of complete muppets, saving land for the nation by putting barbed wire and sentry boxes around it.

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Gastines"]

First thing to dismantle and sell off thousands of assets of The National Trust

[/quote]

You have no idea how much I agree with you there G.  A bunch of complete muppets, saving land for the nation by putting barbed wire and sentry boxes around it.

[/quote]

I have a cunning plan.... Watch this forum.....

[quote user="Gastines"]

First thing to dismantle and sell off thousands of assetsThe National Trust quickly followed by a few under used castles/estates and church properties.

That should liven up Sunday.

Regards.

[/quote]

I think you might find that these are all privately owned and thus not available (theoretically at least) for hte government to sell off!

I think the English need to re-establish themselves starting at the top of the pyramid scheme.

I am sure the Americans would just loooove to buy the Royal family, plus all the nobles and hangers on, with them out of the way there will be lots of assets to sell to oil rich Arabs. The Royal train would be of interest to Pete Waterman.

The armed forces could now be privatised and become mercenaries for another country rather than USA. I would propose an auction. There are lots of dangerous toys they have that could be sold.

Commonwealth countries could be rented back, Wales, N. Ireland and Scotland sold to Russian Oligarchs.

There are incredible assets in storage that are rotting away within the museum system which would be better to be loved by someone - so auction those off on ebay.

The Roman Catholics may like their cathedrals and churches back they lost in the reformation we could do this on a lease back deal. It is unlikely the C of E would notice.

We cannot sell the Lords as they have already been bought aledgedly - likewise Parliament. The inhabitants of these buildings should be put down the mines to earn some proper money, if we can find one open. The premises could be rented out as a large scale massage parlour/drinking den and gentlemens club - little change would be needed architecturally.

Margaret Thatcher could be sold she would appreciate market forces at work. Any offers?

The M25 could be rented out as a race track at the weekend. Drag racing would take place on the M1 - just imagine a 200 mile drag race.

I could go on but the above would take me a month or so.