Filling out Tax Form 2047

Philip

"Invest 12 Euros in the Connexion tax guide. It answers all your questions.

"

That is possibly one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever seen on this Forum.

Better known as "The Correction" it has been wrong very often, but for some  reason Brits continue to believe it.

All  the information needed is available from the

https://www.impots.gouv.fr  site and nothing else is valid.

[quote user="NormanH"]"Invest 12 Euros in the Connexion tax guide. It answers all your questions.

"

That is possibly one of the worst pieces of advice I have ever seen on this Forum.

Better known as "The Correction" it has been wrong very often, but for some  reason Brits continue to believe it.

All  the information needed is available from the

https://www.impots.gouv.fr  site and nothing else is valid.

[/quote]

Hi,

I agree absolutely.  Over the years the "Correction" has regularly published  misleading advice , and despite its nickname is loathe to admit its mistakes .  Save your money.

Yet again, it answers all the questions people ask on forums without them having to endure the multicoloured answers that any question is bound to generate. In my opinion it is 12 Euros well spent and in the whole scheme of things hardly a huge investment. I’d rather follow their advice than Norman’s.

When we've all finished arguing over the Connexion, which thankfully I have no opinion on, maybe someone who is resident in France and who declares earned foreign income, could tell the OP whether or not he is likely to find himself liable for social contributions if he puts in his declaration.

Eurotrash - Yes, I agree, My income was very low last year but you 're right i may get stung for social charges. I've actually just been offered a job here (French contract) so maybe I'll wait till next year and do it as a French worker. Save me the hassle. But thanks for your advice.

This is "social charges" as in CSG and the rest of the package. Not healthcare contributions as in NICs, cotisations etc. See link provided above.

Liability for these social charges is only to do with healthcare affiliation in that if you are covered by another state's social security system, you are not liable (I think that's basically right). For instance UK pensioners don't pay them if they are covered by an S1, ie their healthcare is the UK's responsibility not France's. I assume the reason you weren't liable for social charges is because you were doing things correctly, you were covered by the German social security system by virtue of your contributions there.

If Philip has an S1 to show that the UK accepts responsibilty for his healthcare then I don't think he'll have to pay, and possibly if he has private health insurance he also won't have to pay. But unless he can prove that he has healthcare from another source, then by default he will be treated as if he was covered by French social security since living in France with no health cover is not permitted.

Thanks for that, mint.

The rules for who pays social contributions seem quite complex to me, plus they keep changing, and since I rarely have any income other than what is earned and cotised on in France it doesn't affect me. I just think it's important for the OP to understand it and know what he's letting himself in for, before he goes submitting a tax form expecting not to get a bill. Income tax is not a biggie in France, other things like CSG are far more of a burden.