Life On Mars

TWINKLE

My brother sent me this excellent BBC series and I have watched all of it and I think it's blinking fabulous!

I can't wait for the sequel  'Ashes to Ashes' next spring -  and I fantasise daily about the Gene Genie (Philip Glenister[:)])

Brill British Drama!!!

• 4 weeks later...
Great series .....I am waiting the opportunity to tell some missbehaving kids in the street   " Pack it in  ...any more trouble... I know where you live... and ....I will come round and stamp on your toys ! "   what a line ....I cant help thinking some copper in the past actually use it  !

How gorgeous is that character Gene Hunt?  Not normally my sort of bloke - but he just doesn't give a damn about his pot belly and says what he thinks - strange that I should find this attractice I know - but I do and apparently I'm not alone[:)] 

I did see bits of Clocking Off when I had BBC Prime but I don't have any Brirish channels.  I'm getting someone to tape the new series for me.

Sister-in-law bought me the two series of Life on Mars when I went to Angleterre last week.  Now I'm panicking cos haven't had chance to watch and new Ashes to Ashes thing starting.  Does it carry on or is it something completely different.  Do I have to watch 2 complete boxed sets of DVD's between bnow and next Thursday?

Tonight's the night then, I haven't seen any of the Life on Mars series, but will record Ashes to Ashes anyway.  I notice that they're showing an episode of Life on Mars over on BBC4 directly after the transmission of Ashes to Ashes tonight.  Could it be that the two tie up?

You definitely want to watch the first series of Life on Mars first. For one thing, I think it is better than the second series with some really clever situations. The dénouement was, imo, disappointing which is why you should watch the first series... first. Otherwise there's no mystery. [:D]

Well, I've watched series one and haven't had time to start series 2 yet so will have to start Ashes to Ashes tonight and try to keep up.  I really wish I could find things like this on French TV.  I keep trying but it is just so disappointing, and when they do have series on why do they think anyone would want to watch 3 episodes on the trot?

I'm trying to squeeze in the whole of series one and two before watching any of Ashes to Ashes.  I'll just have to record tonight's episode of Ashes to Ashes.  I've just finished watching episode 6 of series one, and I'm blown away.  What an utterly excellent series!  I'm digging out music I haven't listened too in years, how could I have forgotten the Strawbs?  The whole thing is so well written, and some of the dialog is hysterical.  My favourites so far have to be...

"Anything happens to this motor, I'll come 'round your houses and stamp on all your toys. Got it? Good kids."

and

"Don't move, you are surrounded by armed b**tards"

It's the Gene Genie, and the way he tells them [:)]

It's always difficult producing a "follow-up" to a highly successful "cult" series.  As John Simms didn't want to make any more, it was always going to be awkward introducing a new "time traveller" with a credible back story. 

First episodes are also notorious for packing in a lot of detail to bring viewers up to speed.

The big joke for this series is that Drake knows all about Sam Tyler's adventures and I love lines such as "Good morning, imaginery constructs"  etc.  I think this joke will develop over the series with some excellent opportunities for good, snappy dialogue [:D]

What Thibault said. [:D]

I think the series has potential; I like the fact we haven't returned to the 70s. There's so many cringe-worthy opportunities in the 80s too. [:P] I think it will be more self-referential and tongue-in-cheek than LoM but if it's written well, that's not a bad thing. Love... but also hate... the clown. [blink] I think the daughter is a bit creepy... and will her godfather play a significant part in the past as well... so much potential. Hope it's realised.

Watched the second episode of Ashes to Ashes last night, it confirmed my original thought that you can't repeat a unique show.  I shall probably continue watching but I'm disapppointed...........and I can't stand Keeley Hawes !

Sue

I think this show's problem is that we know (or think we know?) too much about the premise from the way LoM worked. I like Alex's knowing attitude: "Good morning imaginary constructs" [:D] but the storylines need to have more substance, for me. The series can't just ride ([;-)]) on the "watch the 00s collide with the 80s" with shoulderpads and Audi Quattros as the seasoning. I'll continue watching but it's not yet proving a "must watch" in the way LoM was.

Does anyone know whether Life On Mars was dubbed and shown on French tv? If so, was it successful?

I sneaked a peak at Ashes to Ashes last night.  I don't find her character likeable, and I can't find any sympathy for her.  In LOM Sam's character was instantly likeable, we sympathised with him, and wanted things to work out for him.  In A2A, well from what little I've seen I agree with the others, I yearned to slap her.  Perhaps we're not meant to like her, but an irritating character who takes up such a lot of screen time doesn't seem like an audience winning ploy somehow.

[quote user="Cerise"]  Even in 1980s policewomen wouldn't wear those clothes to work.  [/quote]

I agree, it's the clothes, last week she spent the whole show in stockings and suspenders, as a teen in the 80's I know I didn't often dress like that and certainly never saw a single female policewoman like it!!