SNOW!!

Gardengirl

Very sad! As you say, they'll always remember their first day in their new home with that sadness. Let's hope they'll eventually get a new dog to grow up with them. They were very lucky to have your OH to keep the home fires burning - so much worse to arrive at a freezing cold house!

[quote user="dave21478"]Is there anyone in or around Toulouse who could tell me what state the roads are really in, specifically heading towards toulouse from Castres direction?

[/quote]

Bad in Limousin if thats any help. We had a snow plough thru our village yesterday but its as bad as it was before it came.

So drive carefully or not at all.

We had a little more snow Saturday night, which immediately froze. Today it startrd again at about 1.00pm, and has fallen in huge flakes ever since. OH cleared the cars and drive this morning, and there's more than ever now. Glad I did a big shop this morning; going to curl up with a book after taking some photos of the back garden ;o)

How's everyone else - anyone snowed in anywhere? Take care if you're travelling.

The snow carried on here from 1pm till after 10pm last night, covering the icy stuff that already lay. It's about 10cm and very pretty, looks very light and bright. We've not seen as much before in the 30+ years we've lived in the south. This will be a Christmas that will live on in the childrens' memories for many years - so much sledging and snowballing, so many snowmen! [:D]

People were still trudging past in suits past 10 last night, must have had to walk all the way from town. An email from our son at about midnight said he took 6 hours to get home, normally 10 minutes. I don't know, but guess it was in the car. Our DIL recently started a new job, working with families with problems, and she was taking a family out to near Winchester yesterday; 2 booster seats were needed, so at least 2 small children. Son's email says she's stayed in Basingstoke last night, so I guess she's got the family with her! What an adventure!

Stay warm and safe everyone [:)]

My son arrived at past midnight too - 3 hours to travel down the 329 M .........a chap who lives up the road had to abandon the car near the RBH, walk to the nursery in the Forbury, borrow their buggy and try and push two young children home - in the end he had to 'phone a friend' to help........

Here in North 46 the snow has gone. A mix of light rain yesterday and a rise in temp this morning have done the trick.

Yesterday, for the first time since the snow fell last week, I ventured forth on the roads. Our small hamlet is towards the top of a hill so I had to choose between turn left, downhill but mostly uncleared all the way to commune capital with a couple of hairpin bends or turn right, up the mostly uncleared hill before getting to a mostly cleared bit downhill to St Cere. Being brave/foolhardy I took the right road. Though the snow had been mostly cleared there were icy patches but trusty C15D and I arrived safely in a snow free St C and did our bit of shopping.

Now for home - doubting my ability to get uphill on the icy patches I took an alternative big road, neither snow or ice to commune capital and then turned onto twisty, turny bit which was a mix of cleared, slightly drifted snow near gateways and icy patches. Scary moments on uphill hairpin bends but made it.

I have thought about buying snow chains but in the 6 years we have been here snow only causes an inconvenience for a couple of days at a time twice a year - even the 500mm that fell on 26/01/06 had gone in 2 days - so could not convince myself that they were really necessary. Yesterday I would have needed snow chains for not very far, studded ice tyres for a bit further and normal tyres mostly. Decision - stay at home when snow is around.

Compared to the Scott of the Antarctic adventures of the rest of you my tale compares badly - but I don't mind.

John

John, thanks for your little adventure - it didn't sound much fun for you, but I did enjoy reading it! [:)]

We've heard a lot about the very severe weather conditions in the north leading to the problems with the Eurostar trains. This morning someone on the radio said that although snow was bad in places in UK, it didn't compare to conditions in northern France, where snow was measured in metres, not centimetres. Does anyone out there know anything about all this? Maybe someone's there in the midst and can give chapter and verse. If so, I hope they're keeping warm! [:D]

Ahh snow chains, give lousy driving and if they come off which they occasionally do, they take the cars wings/wheel arches with them.

Best solution I had was some Scandinavian Snow tyres made by Continental. They looked just like ordinary tyres but the tread blocks had a slightly more angled sides so they self cleaned.

I was able to boldly go where no man had been before [:D] and no women wanted to.........no shops [;-)]

No more snow here but the 10cm has lasted; it just froze and stayed, which is very unusual for SE England. It still looks very beautiful, but is a bit of a nuisance now. We had quite a walk yesterday to catch a bus to town for lunch, and many buses seemed to have disappeared into a black hole somewhere!

I loved the story of people who were put up in John Lewis at High Wycombe overnight on Monday after becoming stranded. The store is on a hill near the M40, and very exposed; I imagine trying to drive up the hill from the car park would have become impossible on Monday when the blanket of snow arived. I could fancy being stranded in JLP's bed department, complete with lovely pillows and bedding, especially with the thought of their breakfast next morning!

I hope all of you end up wherever you intended to be for Christmas, without too many problems with snow, trains etc.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Théière"]

Ahh snow chains, give lousy driving and if they come off which they occasionally do, they take the cars wings/wheel arches with them.

Best solution I had was some Scandinavian Snow tyres made by Continental. They looked just like ordinary tyres but the tread blocks had a slightly more angled sides so they self cleaned.

I was able to boldly go where no man had been before [:D] and no women wanted to.........no shops [;-)]

[/quote]

Any other suggested makes people are doing well with?

The problem with chains for cars is you can't go over 50kph also you can only drive on snow or ice. If you drive on normal cleared roads they get pits and spikes which damage the tyres plus they make a weird noise. I watched people in the village who have winter tyres and after two nights with a bit of thawing during the day and freezing at night they are about as much use as summer tyres on the ice but they appear to work very well in snow. I have never had a problem with them coming off nor know of anyone who has but I have to confess its something I worry about. I find its best to drive a short distance then tighten then up as they do 'settle in'.

When I lived in Oslo we had to have studded tyres from October to April, it was the law, and you had to pass a winter driving test which included a session on the iced skid pan, great fun. They really were very good, you couldn't really feel the studs when you ran your hand over the top. They work by 'popping' out when the rubber touches the ground. They don't however defy G force so if you throw the car in to a sharp bend it will still skid. I also noticed that contrary to myth they don't damage the road surface. Its a shame you can't use them here as that is what I would fit.

What I do now is use the chains to get to the top of the road where we join the main road which is always clear. I take the chains off then on my return leave the car up by the main road, I guess I am lucky as its only 50M or so to my house.