Readers Digest

Quillan

Well it could be good news for some and bad news for others. At least if you live in the UK the days of junk mail from them may be at an end.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=152196582

The only thing that is a bit annoying is that the Pension Protection Fund may have to support those ex-workers drawing a pension. The annoying thing is, as I understand it, is the PPF get its money from 'eligible' pension funds i.e. indirectly you and me, if you still have pension investments in the UK that is. The upside is the maximum annual pension payout is £28k so all the directors etc on stingingly high salaries won't be getting the pension they thought they were getting.

The disappearance of Readers Digest is going to bring many changes.

No more will I sit in my dentist's waiting room and be treated to a vaguely right-wing, middle-American, optimistic and gentle view of the world.

I will no longer have the opportunity to buy (at a prices determined solely for me) large well-produced coffee table manuals. (To be fair, some were excellent.)

Who will Tom Champagne write to now?

[8-)]

Yes he did and still does!! It is a real name and a colleague of mine at work's daughter married his son. 

He was not a French speaker and knew liitle about France, so  I told him that in France they translated the name to M Champignon and not Champagne as that was not allowed,  He was not pleased to hear that and demanded how he was supposed to tell his daughter that in France she would be known as Mrs Mushroom!![:D]

[quote user="Quillan"]

The upside is the maximum annual pension payout is £28k so all the directors etc on stingingly high salaries won't be getting the pension they thought they were getting.

[/quote]

They have probably got their pension pot invested elsewhere [:@]

Readers Digest was the original example of 'dumbing down' - presenting proper works of literature in a format for the cerebrally challenged with short attention spans.

It was also the prime example of marketing being more important than content and substance.

If it has gone into administration then perhaps the present-day world isn't as bad as some say. [;-)]

I still refer to the RD Gardening Manual and the Repair Manual to this day, they were and are excellent reference books, though some of what is in the Repair Manual would be illegal to do now particularly for electrical work[;-)].

I think the RD itself became outdated possibly by the rise in "celebrity"  and fewer people wanting to read about real life, well as the Americans saw it anyway.

I was put off by their aggressive selling of stuff I didn't want through the Prize draw avenue and finally after three demands for payment of a book I had returned to them,  I told them to go forth and multiply and never heard a word from them again.

Incidentally its only the UK arm that has gone into administration and its possible a buyer might be found.

Will wrote:            "Readers Digest was the original example of 'dumbing down' - presenting proper works of literature in a format for the cerebrally challenged with short attention spans."

Well I'm afraid my old Mum if she was still alive would  have given you a very short sharp answer Mr Will.I think your comment  is the height of pomposity. OK RD wasn't my cup of tea , but lots of peoples Mum's and Dad's liked it. By the way in case you are in any doubt the second word of my Mum's verbal offering would have been," off " [:P]