Mirabelles as in Lots of Them!

mint

Never one to resist something for free, I gathered a lot of mirabelles yesterday, probably a few kilos.

What is best to do with them?

I have already thought of crumbles but what other imaginative ways are there of using them?

And do you use them with or without stones?

Please tell me PDQ as I think they are ripening by the minute even though I have them in the fridge at the moment.

I always take the stones out. They are small fruit too, so if any are missed it would be a crunchy toothbreaking bit if cooked with them in.

I used to make lots of compote and freeze it. Then I would use it in crumbles, on tarts and on yoghurts. Nice sweet fruit, so doesn't need much sugar.

That is what I would do, I'd be a popping those stones out as we speak. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]And do you use them with or without stones?

[/quote]

Mirabelle Clafouti is delicious. The first time I made it I didn't remove the stones as I was told the clafouti keeps its shape better with them left in. The second time I de-stoned and it did sink a bit ... but it was a lot easier and safer to eat. [:)]

Sue

Destone them...Lidl (or might it be Aldi) are currently selling a de-stoner for about 7 euros and I can tell you it really saves work. Then add a little sugar, some water, a few cloves and bring to a simmer. Remove fruit and reduce liquid by half so it's sticky. Either pot or freeze and serve on icecream, or base for trifles, crumbles, etc.

I cut them in half removing the stones and make jam.  I cook them first until soft and then add the same weight in sugar (either all jam sugar of half and half) and boil until seting point is reached.  I sometimes add some vanilla extract for a change.  It's delicious on bread and butter!

I would never ever put any water in with my stewed fruit soft fruit. I put the fruit and sugar on a gentle heat and then, mirabelles, plums, peaches, apricots all have enough liquid in them to not warrant any further liquid. In fact depending on what I do, I drain some of the liquid off.

Must try that clafoutis recipe I was given.

Forgot to ask, Joe, for the jam, it's same amount of sugar as fruit and boil.  But, do I need to add anything else to help it "set" or whatever it is called.

Don't ask how I do not know how to do something so simple as making jam.

I can only say that I never belonged to the WI!

Fab idée, 5-e.  Even as I write, I have prepared the mirabelles and, by some stroke of luck, I even have some pâte feuilletée in the fridge.

So, it looks like it will be cholesterol on a plate for us for lunch today!

Yes, of course, I make my own pâte feuilletée, doesn't everyone?[:P]

No, this was the genuine article (from some cut-price supermaket, Lidl or Netto) made with pur beurre..

BTW, what is the difference between pâte sablée and pâte brisée?

I always make my own short crust and I nearly always use idun's mascarpone pastry for savoury dishes because I love the flavour.

Mind you, Delia has a version of pastry which she calls "rough puff" which is like feuilletée but much easier to manage.  You grate frozen butter into flakes and mix it in with the flour.

Reminds me that I do want to have a go at that now I have all the time in the world to faff about and think up things I want to do![:D]

I understand that too, Idun. So if you are wrong, I am just as wrong. I think sablee might have more butter, or egg, and sugar. IN the pastry - can you imagine, before you even put anything on it??? More like a cheesecake base made with crumbled digestive biscuits, than a dough pastry.

I understand that too, Idun. So if you are wrong, I am just as wrong. I think sablee might have more butter, or egg, and sugar. IN the pastry - can you imagine, before you even put anything on it??? More like a cheesecake base made with crumbled digestive biscuits, than a dough pastry.

Like this http://www.aufeminin.com/fiche/cuisine/f7194-la-pate-sablee.html

Idun, as a young child I was forever given (at least twice a day) some disgusting yellow liquid (lemon flavour I believe) coming from those glass vials which you break at both ends ("des ampoules"). This was supposed to be for my "foie fragile" - according to the (French, evidently) medics. I consider myself lucky as there is always an alarm signal which stops me from overindulging. So, moderation was bred into me, I have absolutely no merit in "being able" to say no.[:D]