Flipping Cheques

Kong

I have a bit of a conundrum here. Through a sale of some shares in the UK the seller insists that they settle by cheque in spite of other previous transactions with them being dealt with electronically.

What would you do? 1. Send the cheque to my UK bank and send the money to France via transferwise and risque yet another loss in the post or 2. present the cheque to to my thieving french bank and ask them to convert into my account?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts.

If it's going to be a cheque and nothing sensible like a direct credit to your UK bank, then I think the best bet would be to pay the cheque into the UK bank.

If you don't need the money immediately, you can then pick a day when the exchange rate is not too abysmal and change at your leisure.

Kong wrote the following post at 05 Aug 2020 21:01:

What would you do? 1. Send the cheque to my UK bank and send the money to France via Transferwise and risque yet another loss in the post.

I was about to agree with Mint .. until I thought about what you had written and the words used ..

'Risk yet another loss in the post.'

Do you really mean that your mail to the UK regularly goes astray ?

That astonishes me ..

Could you expand on that ?

No, not at all regular. In fact very rare. But recomande or registered post doesn't seem to function between the two countries. Most of the mail I receive from the UK via royal mail go via Germany???

Kong wrote the following post at 06 Aug 2020 9:07:

No, not at all regular. In fact very rare. But recomande or registered post doesn't seem to function between the two countries.

Ah .. someone years ago, I forget who, advised us to post the rare cheque we need to send to the UK by ordinary mail as registered could attract interest on occasion. So that's what we do .. no loss/missing so far.

Apparently sending out bulk mail drops to Europe via Sweden or Germany costs much less than the equivalent offer by Royal Mail ?

Various other banks, e.g. HSBC and Lloyds have an app to photograph the front and back of cheques and then make a payment. But they have a limit on the size of the amount of an individual cheque (£500 ?) and the total daily amount (£750 ?)

I've used it for the occasional sterling cheque receive in France.