British women top the Obesity league

NormanH

Oh lovely! A thread with 3 of my favorite programmes: "Un diner presque parfait", "Come dine with me" and "100% Mag" [:P] One of the advantages having both French and British TV, is to be able to jump back and forth between the first two - and conclude that they really have very little to do with each other, the French one being focussed on food and style, the second on grossness and bitchiness, lingering on candidates' inability to cook anything decent or balanced...

And here is my idea of what to do with one's extra wobble:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVcOGzh4unc&feature=related

Oh, Christine, the sacrifices one has to make in order to look like a Hollywood star![blink]

No chou-fleur, no brocolis and no petits pois!  I love those vegetables.  Still, it doesn't say anything about cabbage, that's something...

En plus, no fizzy drinks when my favourite tipple nowadays is l'eau petillante [:(]

I think I'll start measuring my waist to see how many milimetres are coming off [:P]

[quote user="woolybanana"]Hang on there, Sweets, brocolis, choufleur and petit pois are some of the best vegetables you can eat for health, vitamins and dieting. Who, the heck says you shouldn't be tucking into those?[/quote]

The link Christine provided: regarde!

Eviter ce qui fermente : chou-fleur, brocolis, petits pois…

But you won't give up perfectly good veg will you Sweets? 

My neighbour has done her hair like a 17 year olds, wearing young clothes and her husband looks like he is very very old now. From the back as you see them walking down the street, you think man and daughter or grand-daughter. From the front [:-))] mutton done up as lamb and man looking quite fit but his age. Creepy.

Men will he like his wife dressing like a young un when she is obviously not?

cos not, id!

You know me, saying things tongue in cheek and always good for a laugh but, mostly, I keep my own counsel.

Fads come and go and I am always sceptical about the latest whatever!

I feel fantastic for my age.  OK, don't look too fabulous these days but I don't worry much about THAT [:D]

[quote user="idun"]

Men will he like his wife dressing like a young un when she is obviously not?

[/quote]

For me absolutely not as the young uns usually lack maturity in their choice of clothing, more being influenced by advertising or their hormones.

Speaking about views from the front and back, the ones that really shock me tend to be in the English shopping malls, you know the temples to the worship of consumerism, you see what you think are two teenagers or young girls with highlighted blonde hair wobbling along on their talons auguilles and wearing f***y pelmets (mini-jupes) so you puff yourself out to overtake them and cop a glance over your shoulder to find that they are in fact  mother and daughter, you know the type that wants to be their daughters best friend.

Now the ones skinny enough to be able to pass themselves off from behind have nearly always been heavy smokers most of their lives, that plus the fact that they love sunbathing or sun lamp treatments means that they usually have the features of a terminally ill rhinocerous, its quite a shock I can tell you, a bit like the scene in the film (Arthur was it) where Dudley Moore is running along the beach towards Bo Derek and her face morphs into that of a 90 year old on the body of a supermodel.

Obesity is an epidemic that has been ignored for far to long. As a professional working in weight loss,it sadness me to see the amount of junk people eat.

The consequences of obesity can lead to type 2 diabetes heart problems but to name a few.

As Chances said nothing worse than a youngster in a short skirt crop top and having a muffin top showing please cover up ;-)

Isn't over eating the sign of a wealthy society and as we get poorer won't the kids get thinner, hopefully not toooo thin? And everyone else too.

I understand why women, our ancestors would get fat when they could, as food was never sure and their fat ressources would keep them going during hard times.  Would fat ladies have been found very attractive, rather than thin ones...... perhaps?

[quote user="idun"]

"Isn't over eating the sign of a wealthy society....."[/quote]

(Hope you won't mind me quoting you out of context Idun).

But obesity is more prevalent amongst the poor and the lower social classes.... A bit of a paradox, and probably a little more complicated than it appears.

5E, aren't the poor richer than they ever have been.......... in the UK and France?

I realise it is complicated.

says me who has just eaten a full bar of chocolate, something I haven't done for a year or something like that, but I just fancied.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Overweight women generally are attractive, many other cultures place a high value on it, what isnt very attractive is people who are unhealth through obesity or anorexia, both women and men, and of course mutton dressed up as lamb.

[/quote]

As a mutton, I never dress as lamb........ just eat it[Www]

[quote user="5-element"][quote user="idun"]

"Isn't over eating the sign of a wealthy society....."[/quote]

(Hope you won't mind me quoting you out of context Idun).

But obesity is more prevalent amongst the poor and the lower social classes.... A bit of a paradox, and probably a little more complicated than it appears.

[/quote]

There was a programme on not long ago showing how fat youngsters are becoming in India where they are now eating so much junk food and sitting in front of their computers all day instead of getting exercise.

[quote user="idun"]

5E, aren't the poor richer than they ever have been.......... in the UK and France?

[/quote]

Not sure about that Idun: Restos du Coeur (who just started their winter campaign yesterday) have seen a 25% increase in "clients" over the past 3 years.  Even though they have rather stringent criteria for people to become beneficiaries.

Interesting point Christine makes about youngsters and obesity in poor countries. Sedentarity and access to over-caloric junk food (which not only gives instant gratification and enthralls the taste buds, but also represents wealth, sophistication, modernity - unlike rice and dal and chapattis), it all takes its toll.