Finding out if someone is married or divorced

idun

Thanks.

On the right track now. I had thought it an unusual name, but apparently it isn't really.

Looks like I am going to have to sign up to one of these places, as the free one didn't have the info I wanted.  I have no idea as to where the wedding would have taken place either, if there was one. It is just that I cannot find this lady, simply with her maiden name, maybe I'll have to look at the death registers too, a possibility.

I've just been talking to a friend of mine who is doing her family history and she has helped me now. I suppose I had got into my head that the ancestry thing was 'history' rather than being able to look things up that are relatively recent.

Thanks for the offer and when I had wondered about doing a family tree, I have now been put right off.

That's a shame - I use Legacy software which is free, to keep it all in order and the forum 'Roots Chat' is exceptionally helpful....http://www.rootschat.com/

The first day I started I found out that it was likely my grandfather had married his fathers widow - that nearly put me off, but I persevered and its been very rewarding.....on my husbands Huguenot side I got back as far as the late 1600's if I remember correctly (with a lot of help from someone who used to be a member here)

A friend of mine, who herself, is now quite old,  had her mother confess to her when she was old and very ill that she and none of her siblings were their father's children. And we can trace away, but we'll never know the real truth.

Her mother would not say who the fathers were incidentally. Hopefully none married their half sibling.

Apparently a very respectable lady was her mother, no one gossiped or had a bad word to say about her.

[quote user="idun"]

A friend of mine, who herself, is now quite old,  had her mother confess to her when she was old and very ill that she and none of her siblings were their father's children. And we can trace away, but we'll never know the real truth.

Her mother would not say who the fathers were incidentally. Hopefully none married their half sibling.

Apparently a very respectable lady was her mother, no one gossiped or had a bad word to say about her.

[/quote]

That's wonderful (but not for those involved). I wonder, up until then, whether they thought there mother was very straight laced?