Two things are ticking me off

woolybanana

First, the French erection campaign has gone on quite long enough, with such a low quality, unsatisfying debate that one wonders if any of them really do want the job. Apart from Melenchon that is who represents at least some entertainment release, and dear old Poutou who doent know why he is there but feels he ought to be.

Second, the soddin Titanic: it has gone on and on and on, TV has been full of it, this memorial to a tragedy which was caused by bad metal and human stupidity. Get over it guys and let's move on, please.

Now, it will soon be time for the cycling and that is really interesting, even for the ladies who positively slaver over the pictures of those young men bending their all up a steep mountain!

I'm glad it isn't just me who is finding this electoral campaign dull beyond belief. Most of the candidates are starting to make John Major look exciting.

Re the Titanic, I am avoiding it all, but my son was telling the tv to stop putting all this stuff on about it, he cannot even stand the adverts for the programs going on and on about it.

I have had bad experiences with the cycling, so don't watch it and I have never slavvered over young men's bodies, or old men's come to think.

I'm still stuck in England at the moment so I can't comment on the French presidential election, but I agree wholeheartedly about the Titanic stuff.

It seems to be part of an increasing tendency in the UK press towards maudlin sentimentality. Whatever happened to stiff upper lips ?

Hoddy

Second, the soddin Titanic: it has gone on and on and on, TV has been full of it, this memorial to a tragedy which was caused by bad metal and human stupidity. Get over it guys and let's move on, please.

Perhaps now the actual date of the sinking has passed it will stop - like you I've had enough !

I can't imagine anything more boring than cycling (to watch I mean, I liked doing it in the days when I could.)  Yawn-o-rama.  The Tour passed our house in Kent a few years ago - watching the grass on the verge growing was more interesting.

I watched the Fellowes Titanic drama (except the final episode which is still on the recorder) because it had good actors in it.  The rest I've avoided (I don't watch ads, Idun - I record everything and watch without at a later time - I cannot imagine how anybody needs to see any adverts any more with recorders being available.)   I haven't got French TV at the mo' (it's on the list to get back when the works are over) but I do read the election stuff from time to time in the (virtual) papers - plus I get a lot of stuff direct from the PS via e-mail. 

I've come to the conculsion that I can avoid getting overloaded with subjects which bore me quite easily these days - it's not necessary to watch the box all the time indescrimately, nor read the papers day in day out on every subject they care to write about.  I pick and choose and ignore the rest.

Well I think if you were getting the local London news from the BBC (and probably ITV), you'd be ticked off big time by the Mayoral election coming up in May. A motley crew of nonenties, at times vicious and always insincere; the dreary questioning by reporters who hassle their subjects but don't follow up their responses and then because they run out of time, simply smile and say Thank You. It's wearying.

And before I forget (as if), the Olympics, hijacked by every party and valued only for the money and prestige they will bring to "the Capital". Bah humbug!

[quote user="Russethouse"]Second, the soddin Titanic: it has gone on and on and on, TV has been full of it, this memorial to a tragedy which was caused by bad metal and human stupidity. [/quote]

I know!

It's bizarre. People are defending their fascination* with the Titanic by saying that people still visit the war cemetaries and being interested in the Titanic is no different. Um... I think it is.

The Titanic was a tragedy but sailing off to look at an horizon where, 100 years ago, there was a large block of ice seems bonkers to me.

* and I've no objection to people being interested - it's the sheer extent of the coverage that I've found so odd.

In France last week, and being in the rare situation of having to share an evening's TV viewing with OH (that sounds awful: what I mean is that we were watching TV together -rare- and didn't have any saved programmes or DVD's to fall back on) I switched on and said "What shall we watch?"

"Let me see" he said. "I bet the choices boil down to 'The Hairy Bikers cook the Titanic' 'Rick Stein's Titanic Adventure' 'The Great Titanic Menu' or 'My little Titanic Kitchen' "...