Bing

Benjamin

On my (fairly) new laptop running Windows 8 (spit) I appear to have downloaded Bing. When I click on my Mozilla icon to bring up Google as a search engine I get Bing instead. I also appear to have lost my back and forward buttons although my "Bookmarks" icon is still showing. I've also seen the word "Conduit" associated with Bing appear. Having looked through my list of installed software neither Bing or Conduit appear there. Any idea as to how to get rid of both of these bits of software.

Incidentially I also use Hotmail which now appears to be Outlook (spit).

Thanks for the replies but I've still got it. Looking around the net it appears that Bing gets downloaded during Windows 8 updates. Even if I manage to get rid of it, it will probably reappear at the next update. I don't have enough techy knowledge to intervene with the updates and then selectively download.

PaulT

When I click the IE icon I don't get any options such as "tools". All of these must be masked in the same way my back and forward buttons are.

Insidious Microsoft or what?

[quote user="Benjamin"]

When I click the IE icon I don't get any options such as "tools". All of these must be masked in the same way my back and forward buttons are.

[/quote]

Sorry if you already know this but I'll say it anyway.

There is a Tools button: it looks like a cog, and is usually in the upper right corner, above the webpage and any toolbars.

Sue

Edit : Search for 'hidden menus' on Bing/Google or however you can, there is a wealth of info out there on how to adjust simple settings to make Win8 more acceptable.

I think your issue is with the conduit thingy.

I recently had it, and in fact seem to have it again. Just follow these steps to get rid of the annoying pest.

http://botcrawl.com/how-to-remove-conduit-search-malware/

In particular this section:

Conduit Community Toolbar may install as a standalone add-on or

extension, alongside third-party browser attachments, or bundled inside a

third-party browser attachment. Removing third-party attachments often

removes symptoms associated with the Conduit Search redirect virus.

It is suggested to Uninstall any unwanted programs and browser

helper objects using Window’s Uninstaller or CCleaner prior to removing

the browser attachment.

Mozilla Firefox

1. Type Ctrl+Shift+A.

2. On the Extensions and Plugin search for Conduit Community Toolbar and any suspicious add-ons and remove them if located.