What's in a name?

NickP

I was talking about Concordski with an East European colleague just last week.  He had never heard the term 'Concordski '  but claimed that it flew before Concorde and the Concorde designers stole ideas from the Tupelov-144.  I poo-pooed this idea but it seems he was correct and Concordski flew before Concorde.  They look very similar but maybe there's only one shape for a supersonic airliner.  So although there were 16 Concordski built, they took a big setback after the Paris airshow crash and never made many commercial flights.

Just a thought but the only 2 supersonic airliners ever to crash have both been at Paris [8-)]

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

I was talking about Concordski with an East European colleague just last week.  He had never heard the term 'Concordski '  but claimed that it flew before Concorde and the Concorde designers stole ideas from the Tupelov-144.  I poo-pooed this idea but it seems he was correct and Concordski flew before Concorde.  They look very similar but maybe there's only one shape for a supersonic airliner.  So although there were 16 Concordski built, they took a big setback after the Paris airshow crash and never made many commercial flights.

Just a thought but the only 2 supersonic airliners ever to crash have both been at Paris [8-)]

[/quote]Since the two aircraft were developed over roughly the same time I think it very unlikely that Concorde copied the TU-144. In fact it was the TU-144 that had the little forward stub wings that seemed like an attempt to correct design flaws. IIRC it was one of these stubs breaking that lead to the crash at the Paris airshow