Now this annoys me!

PaulT

45 points on a driving licence and still driving:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25626147

and as for magistrates being able to not ban people if it causes hardship well, I do not hit my head with a hammer because it hurts, similarly, if not being able to drive causes hardship I would expect the driver to be even more diligent.

What sort of insurance premiums do these people pay - or do they not tell the companies and are therefore driving uninsured due to non-disclosure.

Perhaps the men all have the right handshake so what about the women?

Have to disagree Q.

Those attending A&E will be triaged and the 'visitors' will wait whilst the urgent cases are dealt with so urgent cases will be dealt with in a timely fashion. Those with the boil on the bum or just there to get a warm will wait and perhaps cause problems for the trusts 4 hour figures.

Those who are habitual speeders and do not give a damn are they type who will have accidents injuring other motorists and / or pedestrians.

I feel it is one thing for magistrates to exercise discretion based on hardship when it is question of 12 or 15 points but it should be made clear that this discretion will not be exercised a second time. It should be a bit like being on probation.

I can't believe they accumulated that number of points just for the offences quoted in the article. Without having been banned for a few periods of time.

In France you can have your license suspended (theoretically) for losing 12 points , or one ?serious offense.

http://www.french-property.com/guides/france/driving-in-france/driving-offences/

[quote user="PaulT"]Have to disagree Q. Those attending A&E will be triaged and the 'visitors' will wait whilst the urgent cases are dealt with so urgent cases will be dealt with in a timely fashion. Those with the boil on the bum or just there to get a warm will wait and perhaps cause problems for the trusts 4 hour figures. Those who are habitual speeders and do not give a damn are they type who will have accidents injuring other motorists and / or pedestrians.[/quote]

I presume the verb "to triage" venired from the French?[:D]

Having read some bits in newspapers etc and listened to the BBC News most of the speeding offences are via cameras. What they don't tell you in any of the sources what speed the majority people convicted were doing. To my mind irresponsible and dangerous driving is 40, 50, 60 and above in a 30mph limit however you will still get a ticket and points if you are doing between 35 and 40. In the majority of situations this is hardly dangerous but it is breaking the limit and is an offence. However if somebody is caught many times speeding to excess then I agree, why are they still driving?

My point about the hospitals is that people going to A&E at some point have to be seen by a doctor and when you multiply all the numbers up there are a lot of people what I would call 'abusing' the system by taking time that would be better spent on those that really need treatment.

[quote user="Quillan"]

My point about the hospitals is that people going to A&E at some point have to be seen by a doctor and when you multiply all the numbers up there are a lot of people what I would call 'abusing' the system by taking time that would be better spent on those that really need treatment.

[/quote] From what I heard on the radio, the people going to A & E many many times a year are those with mental health problems, drug and alcohol addictions.

The chap from one of the hospitals who was interviewed on the TV implied that the reason many came was because they could not get help outside 'normal hours' i.e. GP's should give more out of hours cover and it would be better if these people were dealt with by them and not 'waste' hospital time.

GPs outsource their out of hours services AND sometimes do shifts for the out of hours contractor at high fees. So out of hours are covered dependent upon the agreement set up by GPs.

Before I retired from an NHS trust one of the things I did was to arrange leases for out of hours services at two of the hospitals so that patients could be seen by GP out of hours services in the same location.

The problem is that people have to phone the out of hours service to make an appointment whereas they can just walk in to A&E with no appointment.

GPs now hold the purse strings and perhaps if they were charged for each of their patients who attend A&E for something that should have been covered by the OOH service then things might change. The problem with that is that GPs can decide where to buy hospital services so hospitals do not wish to upset the GPs- catch 22