Saturday the 13th of September...

Rose

I’m sure many of you will remember a couple of years ago when two intrepid and amazing ladies from this forum set off on their journey across northern Spain!

On the 13th September 2014, Greyman will be driving me down to St Jean Pied de Port where I will start my own Camino journey… following in the footsteps of Sweets and Gem and countless  others who have been walking the route to Santiago for millennia.  We’re going to spend the 13th and 14th in St Jean before I head off over the mountains in the 15th.  

Many moons ago I thought about making the trip but life got in the way (in a good way I should add!)  When I read the reports from Sweets and Gem my interest was renewed.  My health problems came and went and interrupted that but this year we drove along part of the route and I decided that I HAD to walk.  I’ve been in touch with both Sweets and Gem and they have both inspired and encouraged me… and as it’s a year to the day I’ve decided to start  a countdown… and hopefully pick up some advice from all of you as well!

So… 354 days to go [:-))]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Gardian"]

[quote user="Cendrillon"]I will be on the Camino this month as well but not doing the whole route. I have sent you a P.M.

errm .............................Saturday is the 14th[blink][/quote]

Rose said 2014 Cendrillon !!   Keep up eh?

[/quote]

ooops! [:$] it's getting late and I thought it was tomorrow!!!

• 2 months later...

Rose, I want to alert you to a programme on BBC 2 this Tuesday evening (don't know if it's a one-off prog or one of a series) called "Pilgrimage".

I have but seen a trailer or two but it looks very promising.  The presenter is Simon Reeves and I have found him to be full of original insights and very well able to express many opinions that (OF COURSE) meet with my entire approval[:D][:P]

In any case, I have been thinking of you a lot since I began reading "Immortelle randonnée:  Compostelle malgré moi" by Jean-Christophe RUFIN.  This is a book recommended to me by none other than Cendrillon who is always très courant with books and films. 

I seem to have it in my mind that you are going to be following the Camino Frances, is that right?

Rufin went on the Camino del Norte and I am about a third of the way into the book and I feel I would love to discuss some of the opinions expressed. (with him or other readers). I think his observations are often accurate but I don't always agree with his interpretation of what he sees.

So, Rose, how is the countdown going?  Do you still think it's a long time to wait?

Cinders, here is the blurp about the programme:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/simon-reeve-pilgrimage.html

I will do a bit more routing around for when exactly it is. 

I saw a clip on something else I was watching this morning and I thought that's when they say it is.

Will be back soon....

Meanwhile READ ALL ABOUT IT! (said in a news vendor's voice![:)])

Sorry, Cinders, it's Tuesday 10 December: http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/2013/50/simon-reeve-pi.html

Don't know why they go rabbiting on about something well before broadcast date....nearly as bad as Dr Who....

Or perhaps it's me who is doing the time travelling!

Edit:  OTOH, hang on a minute, if the prog above is Number TWO of THREE programmes, perhaps Number ONE should be this coming Tuesday? 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the programme was wonderful.  With Simon Reeves, you never get the usual trite or conventional stuff; he always finds something out of the ordinary that is both interesting and informative.

And you know what, he is such a sensitive interviewer; doesn't dodge the difficult questions but asks them with such a delicate touch.

I find him a very engaging character indeed.

He has loads to say about why people through hundreds of years have gone on pilgrimage and how followers of all major religions go on pilgrimage.

He does emphasise that he himself is not religious, has no faith etc.

I felt that very much with the Camino.  It certainly is not JUST for the faithful.  As he points out, it is a wonderful adventure![:D]

And, as Rufin has written, whenever he has been asked why he was going to Compostela, he said, "j'ai été bien en peine de répondre............On est parti, voilà tout". 

Cinders, I believe that all the info on the 3 programmes are in those links I provided earlier.

Can't wait till Episode Two and Compostela.......what fun and what a challenge, and you have it all to COME, lucky you!

Hello all - I'm not very good at this am I?  Starting a thread and then not checking it!

I've recorded the programme but not yet watched it but I am very much looking forward to seeing the camino. 

I've spent the last few months reading and watching anything camino... can't beleive how quickly the last few months have gone and the countdown is certainly passing faster than I thought it would. 

It's about time I started to buy some proper kits... so we're off to get backpack and boots in a week or two... and after christmas the serious walking starts to ensure I'm ready.

how exciting [:-))]

Rose, whatever preparation you don't do, make sure of one thing, please.....that your boots are properly worn in.

Once you have your boots, walk in them everywhere and preferably, do a longish walk (say, at least 10 k) on rough terrain to be sure your feet are happy with them!

You lucky, lucky girl, Rose!  It's not everyone who gets the chance to do the Compostelle[:D] 

Sweets  - I will indeed get those boots worn in.

I have a few quite a few concerns and worries... I could easily write a list... and it would for sure include feet problems! 

I had problems with my toenails after my cancer treatment and I'm only now getting that under control so I am keen to protect them... and because of my wide feet I often get blisters on my little toes so I'm also very keen to avoid them!  So... shoes are really really important for me (and socks).

Your enthusiasm is a real tonic!  I am indeed lucky to have this opportunity... counting down the days

[:D]

Don't they say No Pain No Gain?[:P]

From the comfort of my home here in SW24, I can categorically support that point of view![:D]

More seriously, Rose, I have a tip about socks, given to me by a man who is a qualified podologue and was a volunteer in one of the refuges.  If I have told you about socks before, Rose, do stop me as I am in real danger of repeating myself these days, having forgotten completely what I have said or not said.

All that's for later....got to go or I will be faced with one hungry husband and one starving dog when they return from their walk and lunch would not be ready....

Here is what the podologue told me to do, after he saw the state of my feet and had spent some 15 minutes, bursting the blisters and carefully binding my feet up with huge gentleness:

He said, change your socks every few kilometres or so (yes, I know a real bind, but worth it), pin the damp socks to your rucksack and put on a dry pair. After the next few kilometres (he said 5 but I left them for about 8 km), swap the socks on your feet for the by now dry ones that had been pinned to dry on the rucksack.  Do this alternating of socks throughout the day.

Next, BIG and money-saving tip:  do NOT bother with Compeed (sorry pharmaciens in Northern Spain, this has the potential for making a massive dent in your profits)., just burst and drain the blisters (preferably, sterilise a needle over a match flame or in hot water, whichever is handiest at the time).  Spray with a bit of disinfectant and, when dry, just wrap some gauze around the toes and use micropore to secure.

In the past, I had always worn 2 pairs of socks, a thin pair inside a thicker pair but, in recent years, I do not seem to see any "liner" socks for sale any more.  So, any thick pair of socks with reinforced toes and heels should be suitable.

Pierre, I don't think it matters so much these days with pure cotton as modern textiles are so technologically advanced that they dry much more quickly than cotton and they do seem perfectly comfortable.

As for the boots, it's always a good idea to take the inner soles out, undoe the laces and give them a good chance to air overnight.  Of course, Northern Spain is known for its heavy and frequent rainfalls and you'd just have to dry your boots as best you can and beg, borrow or steal newspapers to stuff into them.

If your getting blisters walking then you have a boot (and possibly sock) problem because it should not happen.

Socks are very important just as much as boots. You should not use cotton socks because they absorb moisture which can make the sock rough and cause blisters. I like socks made from Coolmax fabric as it is a 'wicking' fabric and allows moisture to be absorbed away from the skin, disperses it which in turn allows it to evaporate quickly. The most popular makes of socks for long distance walkers are Thorlo, Wigwam and Thermolite (my personal preference). If you want to wear two pairs then the North Ridge Coolmax liner socks are very good. Socks should fit snugly to the heal so don't use 'tube socks' as they will cause problems. There are also many powders you can apply to help keep your feet even drier, my preference is Dr Scholls. You should wear your socks before going on any long walk to break them in. I wash mine is soap powder (well liquid to be exact) as detergents are not good against the skin in a moist environment. Rotate your sock usage every day washing the used pair when you stop for the day and when dry put them on your hand and arm inside out and sprinkle foot powder on them before turning the socks the right way. Store in a ziplock bag to keep them dry. Do not wear wet socks, change when you have got out of the wet situation.

[quote user="Quillan"]

If your getting blisters walking then you have a boot (and possibly sock) problem because it should not happen.

[/quote]

Absolutely not true on the Camino.  The vast majority of pilgrims who walk from St Jean PP get blisters, not talking about the ones who only walk the last 100 km.

We are not talking about a day or even a week's hike; we are talking about 1000 km (including walking to meals and sightseeing) over several weeks carrying all your requirements, including water, on your back.

I am a veteran of walking holidays; walk a week and stay in a hotel, no problem at all, get your boots dry in the boot room and off you go again the following day with just a small day sack.

No, for the real McCoy, expect foot problems and, should you one of the lucky minority who don't get blisters, lose toe nails, bruised sides of feet, maybe even stress fractures, then count your lucky stars, you are a very Rare Person indeed! 

I have never done this walk but I have twice walked longer and both times fully self contained and always sleeping under canvas (or not sometimes). My first long walk was the South West Coastal Path just over 1000km long for charity. Fortunately I was in the RAF at the time and a guy from the RAMC came and spent several hours with us talking about feet, boots, socks etc as well as first aid, dehydration etc. It was a long time ago and technology has moved on a lot since then. My second walk many years later was in South America in very humid conditions and quite an experience. I have walked short distances however like The Pennine way (end to end).

A lot of water has gone under the bridge since then and I have not done anything like that since but the information, especially that from the RAMC has for some strange reason stayed with me. Boots are without doubt the most important thing and badly fitting or cheap boots can cause many of the problems you have described including blisters and toenails falling off. The type of boot you would wear for three or four days hiking is quite different, not just in price but quality, from a boot designed for continuous long distance hiking. Likewise the terrain you intend to walk over will also affect the type of boot buy. The type of boot you would by for walking around 1000km is likely to cost you near enough the £200 mark for a good pair where as you can buy good boots for shorter routes for under £100.

I am sure you have read many different books etc about walking and listened to lots of advice and I am sure that most would agree that many of the problems you describe will be down to boots either badly made ones, wrong ones or badly fitting ones. Thats is not to say that you won't get a blister or two but you certainly won't get the amount you described.