Keep dementia away - drink red wine...

chessie

Now I have the perfect excuse -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/27/chemical-found-in-red-wine-and-chocolate-helps-restore-defences/

Yippeee-  1,000 bottles of red wine a year - and all the dark chocs I can eat....

I'll be tipsy - and fat - but my brain will be happy....!!

Just thought we need a bit of cheering up - enjoy - and have a bottle of red wine today - and tomorrow, and hic, the day after - and every day   !!!!

For me it's a dilemma. Yesterday the doctor diagnosed that I am suffering from gout and a big nono is red wine. So do I give up red wine and hopefully control the gout whilst losing my faculties or carry on drinking it and keep my faculties whilst keeping the excruciating pain of gout :)

Seriously, never realised the intense pain of gout.

Judith wrote : Neither time were we advised against either red wine or chocolate.

This thread intrigued me as I know that gout is a form of arthritis and I have arthritis with very occasional twinges of gout in my right big toe so I googled - as you do - and found this : www.ukgoutsociety.org › docs › goutsoc...

(not sure the link will come out right from my tablet, but you get the idea)

It's a PDF and it's info seems sound to me. Beer seems to be more damaging than red wine !!

Sue

Apparently kidney stones are usually caused by foods that contain oxalates such as:

beetroot

asparagus

rhubarb

chocolate

berries

leeks

parsley

celery

almonds, peanuts and cashew nuts

soy products

grains, such as oatmeal, wheat germ and wholewheat

There are also uric acid stones, for which it's recommended to reduce the amount of meat, poultry fish in the diet.

Out of that lot, I enjoy beetroot, asparagus, leeks, parsley, almonds and cashew nuts, but the problematic one for me is chocolate. The consultant mentioned cutting down on tea and coffee as well as chocolate.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kidney-stones/Pages/Prevention.aspx

Paul -  the doctor could be wrong in his diagnosis. Did you have a urine test?

I had pain at night in one of my toes. The doctor said it could be gout and prescribed some tablets - can't remember the name, they were blue, and gave me terrible diarrhoeia, I stopped taking them and the pain turned out not to be gout but arthritis. Urine sample showed uric acid in normal limits.

[quote user="Patf"]Paul -  the doctor could be wrong in his diagnosis. Did you have a urine test?

I had pain at night in one of my toes. The doctor said it could be gout and prescribed some tablets - can't remember the name, they were blue, and gave me terrible diarrhoeia, I stopped taking them and the pain turned out not to be gout but arthritis. Urine sample showed uric acid in normal limits.

[/quote]

The doctor wants me to have a blood test to check for uric acid once this has subsided.

She put me on Nurofen and something to protect my stomach.

Sorry OP I rather hijacked this thread

I thought the things to avoid were red meat and offal like kidneys and liver, kind of "red coloured" stuff.

And definitely a blood test for uric acid.  My mother had it and, strangely enough, she was a slim, active woman and I always thought that overweight males (think Henry VIII) were the principal victims!!!

[quote user="suein56"]Judith wrote : Neither time were we advised against either red wine or chocolate.

This thread intrigued me as I know that gout is a form of arthritis and I have arthritis with very occasional twinges of gout in my right big toe so I googled - as you do - and found this : www.ukgoutsociety.org › docs › goutsoc...

(not sure the link will come out right from my tablet, but you get the idea)

It's a PDF and it's info seems sound to me. Beer seems to be more damaging than red wine !!

Sue[/quote]

Yes, Sue, it did turn out to be arthritis .. in the big toe joints (I was a dancer for years, now suffering a damaged hip I suspect from that as well) in the end ... but everybody laughed when they knew where I worked - I never did drink much beer, even then, but do still rather like my red wine, though it likes me not as much as it did!

[quote user="Gardengirl "]Apparently kidney stones are usually caused by foods that contain oxalates such as:

beetroot

asparagus

rhubarb

chocolate

berries

leeks

parsley

celery

almonds, peanuts and cashew nuts

soy products

grains, such as oatmeal, wheat germ and wholewheat

There are also uric acid stones, for which it's recommended to reduce the amount of meat, poultry fish in the diet.

Out of that lot, I enjoy beetroot, asparagus, leeks, parsley, almonds and cashew nuts, but the problematic one for me is chocolate. The consultant mentioned cutting down on tea and coffee as well as chocolate.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Kidney-stones/Pages/Prevention.aspx[/quote]

GG, that's interesting.  Hubby eats few veg and nothing in your list, even not much tea and coffee (he rarely imbibes anything but some wine, water and a tot of whisky for apero each night) ... but he does like his red meat.  Doctor's advice here was to keep his water intake up.