Will the ban on fox hunting save Brexit ?

alittlebitfrench

I see that nutter May wants to bring back fox hunting.Or she said she is in favour of bringing back fox hunting which basically means the same. That proves her Tory credentials.

If she does that, and she will lose the election.

Brexit vs fox hunting !

I hope my comrades vote wisely.

I wish that was the case ALBF. Sadly even that won't stop her, although even some of her die hards are not happy. If the UK had a Macron type figure who could galvanize the opposition they would walk it..sadly no one springs to mind. Macron himself doesn't care as he already has a plan to mop up the spills from brexit to France's advantage. Good for France, not so good for UK, but it was what people voted for.

No idea why May even brought this up, suggested it, beyond me.

And is that a 'cunning plan' Macron has, remember the UK has a trade deficit with France, and there are literally thousands and thousands of french people in the UK, more than brits in France, that is according to INSEE.

Ah well, we will have to see what Macron does. And Macron, well we could do with a good leader in the UK, but not a Macron type, or Blair type or Thatcher type, in fact the only one I can think of at the moment is Churchill type, but there again my grandmother hated him to the end of her days.

Not sure that I care that much about hunting, either way; most of the issues around it are really class conflict, them and us. But foxes do have to be controlled some how, so perhaps the anti hunting brigade would care to tell others how to do it effectively, including urban foxes, of course which have become a damned nuisance: poison or digging out, perhaps, contraception.

If you have ever seen a chicken coop hit by foxes you will know why some people want to see them gone.

Look what has happened to badgers; should they be allowed to spread TB to cattle, should they be culled, the cattle culled or the farmers shot, all viable options.

Fortunately, there have not been any cases of foxes spreading rabies in the the UK as there were a few years ago in France, when the disease got to the very edge of Paris; under those circumstances, hunting with dogs was too dangerous, so they were poisoned and shot out. All quiet for the moment.

As for the 'comrades', let them work for a living on a farm and get a real dose of life instead of sitting whinging on benefits!

I have said before Wooly, I grew up on the Wiltshire/Dorset border in the 80's and we had many hunts around us. These hunting type people are scum of the earth. Forget 'to the manor born' the people who ride in these hunts are scum. They will spit on any one they think is beneath them.

'May' does not get my vote now. Not that she did before mind you. But to come out and support this is just beyond belief. The tories...they can't help themselves.

Don't vote for her !!!

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]I have said before Wooly, I grew up on the Wiltshire/Dorset border in the 80's and we had many hunts around us. These hunting type people are scum of the earth. Forget 'to the manor born' the people who ride in these hunts are scum. They will spit on any one they think is beneath them.

'May' does not get my vote now. Not that she did before mind you. But to come out and support this is just beyond belief. The tories...they can't help themselves.

Don't vote for her !!![/quote]

I don't know anything about the control of vermin or whether badgers spread TB.

BUT, dear albf, I am with you one hundred percent with reference to not voting for May.

I was happy to give her the benefit of the doubt when she won the leadership given that Boris Johnson and Cameron were happy just to walk away because they didn't want the the poisoned chalice that is Brexit.

But I can't trust a woman who was a Remainer and is now the arch Brexiter......hard Brexit, no free trade, no customs union.  Then it was no general election till 2020 and now calls the election.  OK, we all have a right to change our minds but this woman changes her mind every 5 minutes.  Why should we trust the word of someone whose word is obviously worth nothing,

I completely understand her regarding Brexit, I think the reason many hate her is that when she won the leadership they thought as she had voted against it then it would not go through, completely wrong in my simplistic black and white world, it was her responsability when she took the job to proceed with the majority democratic decision regardless of her personal view and it is the mark of a true leader and team player.

A dictator would do what he/she wanted regardless of the team or referendum decision.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I completely understand her regarding Brexit, I think the reason many hate her is that when she won the leadership they thought as she had voted against it then it would not go through, completely wrong in my simplistic black and white world, it was her responsability when she took the job to proceed with the majority democratic decision regardless of her personal view and it is the mark of a true leader and team player.

A dictator would do what he/she wanted regardless of the team or referendum decision.

[/quote]

Don't worry, Chance, she will be as good as a dictator when she wins the thumping majority that seems to be her due come June

She was a failed home secretary before she became prime minister. Out of those that could have taken on the job she was least bad but that doesn't mean she is good. The tragedy for the UK is that no one else with any degree of competence has stepped forward. Looks like they will be stuck with May.

I think Chancer is confusing the job of 'Politician' with that of 'Civil Servant'.

It's a Politician's job to have ideas, beliefs and scruples which they stand by, then people either vote for or against.

It's a 'Civil Servant' who's job is to simply(?) implements the will of others regardless of personal beliefs.

May has proved she has no scruples and is willing to do/say anything to be elected - just as Cameron did!

Not what I want from a politician - especially one who constantly claims to be 'Strong and Stable'

[quote user="mazandcol"]I think Chancer is confusing the job of 'Politician' with that of 'Civil Servant'. It's a Politician's job to have ideas, beliefs and scruples which they stand by, then people either vote for or against. It's a 'Civil Servant' who's job is to simply(?) implements the will of others regardless of personal beliefs. May has proved she has no scruples and is willing to do/say anything to be elected - just as Cameron did! Not what I want from a politician - especially one who constantly claims to be 'Strong and Stable'[/quote]

I see where you are coming from, no argument regarding Cameron, lets pretend he was a man of honour (I know its a big ask!) he gambled on a referendum and his position was remain, a democratic majority voted leave, he was a man of honour and had pledged to serve his country for the duration of his engagement, I would have expected him to implement Brexit, what would you have expect of an honourable person?

Disregarding Boris and all the other dishonourable ones I believe that the person putting themselves forward for the job had to accept the responsability that came with it, it may well be that the PM is exactly what many are saying about her and she is prepared/happy to go against her principles for personal gain, Blair would have done so in a heartbeat[:)]

As I say, I am a simple black and white person and my view is influenced by my personal experience of working towards something I did not agree with as a group company director, something that I had voted against but the majority voted for by one vote.

I can't tell with TM what her personal values and beliefs are..the things she claim change with the wind. That to me does not make a good politician or leader. I compare that to Macron, who, whether you like him or not seems to have a clear set of principles that guide him. JC has lots of principles but sadly no leadership qualities.

Politicians are elected based on their manifestos. TM is not obliged to put anything about the EU in the Conservative manifesto. The manifesto could say 'we will not leave the EU if it looks like it will detrimental to the British economy or will lead to a fragmentation of the Union'. Unlikely I know, but she can choose to put nothing in and then she, as the elected politician has no obligation to do anything. Elections override the results of a non legally binding referendum .

I have had what I can only say has been a difficult morning AND mazandcol you have made me laugh.

'Scruples' you say........... politicians......................... ah dear me, I thank you for that[:D][:D][:D]

Well I would have no respect for someone that took a job with conditions, the main one being to implement a withdrawal from the EU and then called an election in order to avoid their obligation, I have seen plenty of people in life that do just that, the "yeah-buts" the takers, do you really want the leader of a country to do that?

I think many people now despise her because they expected her to do what they would do in her place.

Well we'll know if she is one of those when we finally get to see what is in the manifesto.. My bet is it will say I want a strong and stable brexit that gives the UK the best possible deal, and not much else..that way she can do whatever she wants and say it was in her manifesto.

She can also use a large majority, won on the back of people buoyed up by brexit, to promise all sorts of other nasty things such as bringing back fox hunting, grammar schools, increasing the retirement age, reducing funding to the NHS and lowering taxes for the rich.

All three parties are saying they will commit to brexit..The Lib dems are promising a referendum on the final deal, Labour are looking for a softer brexit.. It's the other things that are more of a worry.

Do you really consider the re-introduction of grammar schools to be a nasty thing?

Would you mind explaining why?

My siblings are a decade older than me, oldest passed the 11+ went to grammar school and went on to be a head of a civil service department, 2nd sister failed and went to a secondary modern I think it was called, dont think she did too well as she is not as bright as the elder sister and myself, parents had to send her to a private college to train as a comptometeur operateur.

Myself I did well in the 11+ but was shoved into a comprehensive with 2000 other pupils dubbed the training ground for borstal and recived the worst 1970's progressive (lack of) education that you could imagine, I would not wish it on anyone, had my mother lived then I would have stayed on at school, got A levels like my sister (my O levels were excellent) and probably gone on to university and a Professional career but it wasn't to be and thats another subject.

What I didn't realise was that there were still grammar schools in other areas, where we lived was so insular that I was 13 before I realised that not everybody lived in a Council house, in my 30's and having established a good career despite my schooling I made a group of friends all in their early 20's, all had gone to grammar school and whilst some of them were not as bright or scholarly than the others they all had a maturity, confidence and ease of communicating that I could only dream of at a decade or more older and having been promoted to Engineering director.

Some were from good families others had won assisted places, they were from Surrey I was in West Sussex, in fact at that time the border was the bottom of my garden.

I'm struggling to see what cauld be considered bad about Grammar schools compared to the current system.