Ad blocker in Firefox

mint

What on earth is happening when you try to block adverts?

It doesn't seem to work anymore and, when I used a Private Screen in an attempt to view ad free, the computer crashed.

Eventually, after installing updates, I now have an unfamiliar looking screen and there are messages such as temporarily disable (something, something, can't remember) on this page and other equally incomprehensible options.

This is beginning to really annoy me as I prefer Firefox to other browsers.  Now I have to disable something or other with practically every site I use.

Anyone has similar problems and, if so, how have you satisfactorily dealt with them?

What version of FF are you on (Alt for menu then Help -About)

Also what are you using for ad blocking, if you've allowed Firefox to automatically update then the latest version (56 or worse 57) may well have broken it.

This sort of thing is going to be happening a lot in the coming days and weeks as everybody who hasn't turned off automatic updates ends up with 57.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/11/10/open_source_insider_firefox_57/

If you want to avoid all the potential hassle but still get the most important security updates then switch to the ESR (Extended Support Release) version, this was specially produced for commercial or business users where they don't want random updates changing the way they configure their machines. As somebody put it "ESR is dull stability at the expense of new features." but many will see that as advantage rather than a drawback.

You can get 32 and 64bit versions here and here.

EDIT: A more user friendly link for ESR

Think of it like the support Windows 7 is still receiving until Jan 2020, i.e. security updates but no new features or changes to appearance, a bit of a Holy Grail for those who only want change when THEY want it not when it's foisted on them !

Interesting... I'm now on 57 and, so far, it seems a big improvement. I'd been at the point of dumping FF as I needed to keep closing it down and re-opening as performance was slowing down drastically the longer I used it (more pages accessed) and more tabs I had open. 

So far, and I stress... so far... 57 seems to have resolved this. I use Adblock Plus as my blocker and that still seems to be working well with 57.

Perhaps I've been lucky.

[quote user="DerekJ"]Interesting... I'm now on 57 and, so far, it seems a big improvement. I'd been at the point of dumping FF as I needed to keep closing it down and re-opening as performance was slowing down drastically the longer I used it (more pages accessed) and more tabs I had open. 

So far, and I stress... so far... 57 seems to have resolved this. I use Adblock Plus as my blocker and that still seems to be working well with 57.

Perhaps I've been lucky.

[/quote]

Ditto [:)]

A lot of discussion here:

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/09/28/webextensions-in-firefox-57/

the one that hit the nail on the head for me was :

From the 7 Add-Ons I have installed, 6 are marked with “LEGACY”.

“DownloadThemAll” is not working in the legacy mode (extensions.legacy.enabled = true).

What to do now? Just look for a new Add-On or better switch to a whole new browser (I already have Safari and Chrome installed).

From a users point of view the deployment strategy of the new Firefox ) and you will lose your reputation.

Maybe you have announced the API change to the developers, but you

rendered _my_ user Firefox installation unusable without having asked

me! This should not be done by automatic updates!!!

I don't know if this is the same thing, but earlier in the week Firefox changed to keep all recently consulted websites ( history?) on first page.

As they increased in number I realised something was wrong and  managed to delete them all individually, then unticked something which linked to record history.