Is the Grass Greener ?

alittlebitfrench

[quote user="Patf"]How's the piano practice going, ALBF? [;-)]

[/quote]

Yes, the piano.

Well, since you ask not so bad.

But I can't get my left hand to work separately from my right hand. It is not like playing the guitar. It is flipping hard.

I am trying to teach myself by playing madness songs.

I have got 'my girl' and 'it must be love' half sorted.

Mike Barson is my hero.

ALBF - you should be on that piano practising NOW! Setting an example to vos enfants.

EuroTrash - I 'sold' my piano recently, partly because we're moving, and partly because aged joints won't allow playing now.  [:(]  I virtually gave it away - the transport cost is more than the value of most pianos. And the trend now is to electronic keyboards.

But the really classic pianos might still get a good price at auctions. Mine was a small Yamaha upright.

I don't know if you have noticed on your travels ET but there is a piano at Gare St Lazare where people can go and play whilst waiting for a train. It is in the middle of the new shopping mall type thing.

So my ambition is to learn to play a madness song (probably my girl) and play it at St Lazare and get everyone sing.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Thereis also one at St. Pancreas and one at the Calais TGV station.[/quote]

Ohh great...so I am on tour now.

So I will play Madness in Paris.

Comptine d'un Autre Été at St Pancreas.

And the theme tune to 'The Great Escape' in Calais. Or maybe 'White Cliffs of Dover'. What would our little friends prefer ?

"I don't know if you have noticed on your travels ET but there is a piano at Gare St Lazare where people can go and play whilst waiting for a train."

Yes I spend quite a lot of time at gare Saint Lazare and I love that piano and the vast range of styles of music people play on it, vast range of abilities too of course, but it is very feelgood whatever.

[quote user="EuroTrash"] Chancer I suppose that for all you don't like where you are, you have a lot of satisfaction in what you've achieved. Well I hope you still do.[/quote]

I sure do [:D]

I took immense pleasure in the whole of the renovation, being able to work unstressed at my own rythm financing it and surviving on my own funds for a decade, never once felt the need for a holiday.

And I continue (for the time being at least) to get pleasure in meeting diverse interesting and enlightened people from other areas in France and the entire world.

I have sort of been swept along with the success and it has re-ignited my long lost ambition which i am not sure how to feel about, my raison d'être for being here was to jump off the ride and I find myself enjoying being on a merry go round that is turning even faster.

I am getting very good at not letting very annoying things get to me (I suppose its part of growing up) like being screwed by both of my banks, waiting a week for an appointment to open a new one today for them to cancel it 30 minutes before in a completely insouciant way, being very rudely recieved in 2 other banks and walking away etc etc etc, when inevitably the mentality of the area finally gets to me I will be trapped in a gilded cage but wont hesitate to walk away at whatever the cost, doing that before was the best decision of my life.

I would not return to the UK though no matter how green it is although it would be the easiest thing in the world to do, I could go back this very second if I were minded to with absolutely no obstacles, but to do so would be foregoing so many other exciting possibilities and I would view it as a failure on my part no matter how much richer I could be, it was never about the money, it was about being able to answer my own question "how much is enough?"